Monday, May 14, 2007

I Think the Name is Luddite

I'm the kind of guy who goes dragging his feet into the next technological advance. I'd jump on the jetpack before anyone, but when it comes to software upgrades, I'm pretty averse to change. I have Photoshop CS2, but I never use it, preferring instead to use version 7 simply because I know it and I don't want to learn a new version. I was forced to upgrade my Dreamweaver and it's still pissing me off when I try to do things the way I learned to do them. I don't need Vista; XP works just fine. I'm not joining Twitter, or MyBlogLog, or adding a thousand trendy widgets to this site. I caved to Technorati, but that's it for now.

Which brings me to RSS readers. I'm afraid it's time for me to get one. As my blog favorites list grows, I need to be more systematic about what I'm following. Any of you bloggers who see a lot of traffic from one IP address in Central Florida can thank me, since I check up on you through bookmarks usually, sometimes getting to you through links on other sites. I call it my "Daily Reads" folder (pictured below - it grows and shrinks all the time as I find new ones I like or as old links go dormant) and I just jump to one of them when the mood strikes me and time permits, not necessarily when you update your blog. So, if you're watching website stats and analytics and you're wondering if you've got a stalker on your hands, it's just me...and I know where you live!

And speaking of stats, the guy who wrote the book "Where's My Jetpack?" (or his publicist/publisher) has been searching the term "where's my jetpack?" every day from Portland, in every possible way. Quoted, no apostrophe, capital letters, no question mark. He's hoping that he can eventually beat me for top spot on Google for the term. Please help me crush his dreams by linking to this blog. I'm inclinced to agree with this review of his book.



Labels: , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

  • I just found your blog after googling "where's my jetpack" from Portland, which I did after seeing Daniel Wilson's book in the window of Powells, where it is a staff picks or something (Powell's is Portland's huge and awesome bookstore). So maybe that's why it is getting googled a lot from Portland. oh, and yeah, that 12 page nytimes magazine thing about UAE was really weird.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 14, 2007 at 7:42 PM  

  • I wouldn't worry about the book-writing impostor. Any book that roots itself in today's technology issues AND looks backwards is going to date very quickly. So long as you keep updating your blog, he'll lose the race.

    And I'm truly honoured to be on your roll.

    By Blogger SchizoFishNChimps, at May 15, 2007 at 7:00 AM  

  • Stalkers are the best! They make the "loyalty" part of my stats puff with pride. In fact, some of my best friends on the net are technically stalkers, and I get my feelings hurt when a stalker leaves, presumably to stalk someone else or possibly serve jail time.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 16, 2007 at 11:49 AM  

  • Hono(u)r is mine, Chimp.

    By Blogger RFB, at May 16, 2007 at 10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home