Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Free Giant Yellow Doorstop

Embarq tells you, "Don't use those inferior yellow pages." Bell South counters with, “Don’t use those wannabe crap Yellow Pages masquerading as the REAL Yellow Pages."

Now Bell South says, “Our Yellow Pages are mucho mas better than before because we’ve changed our name to the NEW AT&T REAL Yellow Pages.”

I can imagine a business owner’s confusion when the Yellow Pages reps come calling. “Which Yellow Pages are you representing?” they ask. “Oh, trust me, ma’am," offers the helpful greased weasel or perfumed hottie, "We’re the one people turn to when they need Yellow Pages.”

So, ask yourself this: When was the last time you used your own Yellow Pages, regardless of who issued them? I’ve got three giant volumes in my kitchen pantry, and I’ll bet the cover's been cracked on maybe one of them in the last year. Maybe you’re different. I just don’t see the need anymore. OK, Internet goes down at the same time you need a plumber. Maybe then.

When a new Yellow Pages lands in my driveway or on my front step, (usualy as a three-volume bag) it invariably gets walked straight into the garage and tossed into the recycle bin.

It’s been said elsewhere, but I'll say it again here just to piss off the people who work in this market: The (traditional) Yellow Pages are Dead.

Businesses, consider saving your money and spending those advertising dollars elsewhere. Unless you’re a personal injury attorney trying to get the glossy insert with the tab or the back cover glory shot of the entire firm in the wood paneled library, what's the point? If they're bundling the offer and you have to be in the book in order to be on the website, demand a discount and say you don't want to be in the book. Tell them you're doing it for the planet.

Labels: , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

  • We were having this fight with a client right before I left.

    We'd convince them it was ridiculous to spend all this money on yellow page ads and 3 days later I'd get a job communication to layout another one.

    By Blogger Thinking In Vain, at December 5, 2007 at 11:20 AM  

  • It's not just Yellow Pages that are dead (they are) but also Newspaper (unless it's a targeted newspaper like WSJ).

    Magazines (targeted audience) are about the only print that's relevant any more.

    And when my internet's down I'm too upset to worry about a little thing like plumbing.

    By Blogger Unknown, at December 5, 2007 at 7:59 PM  

  • Actually JP, I'd use the Yellow Pages. If I knew which one to use.

    Like you, I get a new one each month and I'm never sure which one is the real Yellow Pages or if it matters or what.

    And I mostly use them because things like Yahoo! Local are even more incomplete.

    By Blogger Alan Wolk, at December 6, 2007 at 11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home