Tuesday, October 14, 2008

This Blog's Brand

Got a nice email today from Gordon, a longtime reader from I don't know where, who noted how often I change the banner at the top of the blog. He said the feet in the grass version wasn't doing a good job of conveying the concept of "Where's My Jetpack?" I had to agree and took his advice to change it back to the 60s-era astronaut standing in the water of some idyllic Tahitian resort.

I have a Photoshop document that consists of over 70 layers just for that banner and I change it as often as I wash my jeans, which is to say about once a week. One thing that remains a constant in the banner is the inclusion of Major Mike Adams, an Air Force test pilot who died in the California desert in 1967. (You can see the original image here.)

There is a nonchalant cool conveyed in that photograph and Adams seems impatient to be posing. He almost sneers at the photographer as he stands with his weight on one leg. There is something very American about that picture. It's got attitude, rebellion and patriotism all at once. It speaks to me of a healthy discontentedness with the way things are and a desire to make them better. It pretty much shouts, "Where's My Jetpack?"

Labels: , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

  • That's very interesting. (Seriously!)

    By Blogger Andy Jukes, at October 14, 2008 at 7:24 PM  

  • It also looks to me like he's just crapped in his space diapers and said to the photographer, "I just crapped my pants without consequence. Can you do that? I didn't think so."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 14, 2008 at 7:53 PM  

  • Thermostats: (Whom I suspect could be Fred)

    That was quality commenting, on the level of Gawker and Wonkette stuff.

    Which reminds me: need to do a post on the brilliant minds out there in the Tubes, evidenced by blog comments.

    By Blogger RFB, at October 14, 2008 at 8:12 PM  

  • I also like how the collar almost looks like he's a 00 agent ready to rip off the space suit only to reveal that he's wearing a tux underneath it all. But I think that's a great topic you've raised. How do we perceive the brands of our own written insanity? What makes Jetpack different from Adbroad, Make the logo bigger, Dear Jane and WAS from a brand point of view. Hmmm, shit to ponder... though not the type to crap nonchalantly in a spacesuit.

    By Blogger Joker, at October 21, 2008 at 3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home