Thursday, May 28, 2009

What is This Tweeting I Hear Tell Of?

I'm sure radio had its detractors in the early years, with people skeptical as to its use or advantages. Finally, Einstein spoke up and brought some sense to the new invention:

You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat.

Hopefully as more people get on Twitter, the less the Twitterati can dictate what is or isn't proper etiquette as far as following and un-following or whether a person who uses Twitter is a Twitterer or a Tweeter. Someday the Twittersphere, like radio, will be fractured into specialties and sub-specialties. Actually, it's already happening and was in fact built for fractured use. We follow people who interest us, who share our interests or who are in our fields.

More and more of my Facebook friends are getting on Twitter, and every news outlet, politician, business, celebrity, and attention whore is on there along with you and me. Still, we will continue to hear comments like those below for a long time yet.



Original image from Shorpy

Labels: , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

5 Comments:

  • Hilarious. I just twit my pants.

    By Blogger M.M. McDermott, at May 28, 2009 at 4:43 PM  

  • OMG, I think I Just twit my pants too. Thanks, as always, for making me laugh 'til I hurt.

    By Blogger Amy, at May 28, 2009 at 8:50 PM  

  • That was truly laughable. Are we considered "out of touch" if we don't tweet? Sometimes trying it all has drawbacks.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 30, 2009 at 4:00 PM  

  • By laughable, anon, I trust you didn't mean you were laughing.

    Those who don't tweet are not out of touch, and I understand the resistance. Perhaps I should have noted that I was a very vocal critic of Twitter at first. But I've found that it is a useful tool. I get a lot of news through it, and I communicate with colleagues through it. Others use it in different ways. It's pretty versatile and not just, as I used to mock, a place to tell everyone what you had for breakfast.

    By Blogger RFB, at May 30, 2009 at 7:19 PM  

  • stolen!

    thanks.

    By Blogger shaun., at June 1, 2009 at 1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home