Tuesday, July 03, 2007

God Bless America... NOW, Damnit!

That phrase, "God Bless America." It's always struck me as a little demanding. Sort of like we have this inflated sense of entitlement to all that is good and glorious, which is, I suspect, why so many other nations find us repulsive.

Don't get me wrong (or as our President likes to say, "Make no mistake!"), I love my country. It may stink in lots of ways, but it's one of the best ships afloat. Always room for improvement, though - which is another reason it's a pretty cool place.





Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

  • Funkin’ A. Whatta ya gonna do, give Turkey the vote?

    (No offence to any Turkish bloggers who may be reading.)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 3, 2007 at 6:52 PM  

  • Jesus MTLB... If you give Turkeys the vote, what's next, chickens, parrots? Better we invade them, bring them democracy, then watch them kill each other.
    Cheers/George

    By Blogger George Parker, at July 4, 2007 at 11:58 PM  

  • Interestingly enough, Irving Berlin (composer of the song 'God Bless America') also composed "There's no business like show business" and "White Christmas". Seems our Jewish World War I vet had a knack for succinctly capturing all that is America...God, Entertainment, uh..White Supremecy?...I mean...snow and St. Nick. I'm of the opinion that the song is more of a plea than a statement of entitlement....and he didn't horde the requests. He also wrote "Heaven Watch the Philippines" which I think is grand being married to someone born in Manilla.

    By Blogger thompanilla, at July 5, 2007 at 10:56 AM  

  • Johnny:

    I was speaking more about the phrase than the song. The one you see on the church marquees and on the little yard signs and on the little banners at the parades (and the one that GWB utters at the end of every on-camera speech.)

    By Blogger RFB, at July 5, 2007 at 11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home