Thursday, August 09, 2007

Just Out of Reach

I don’t remember what agency art director introduced me to Design Within Reach, the very cool catalog for very out of reach furnishings, but they’ve teamed up with one of my favorite American inventions, the Airstream trailer. DWR is for people who don't want to be seen slumming at Target for Michael Graves stuff. And can afford not to. I suppose they are the same people paying multiple millions for a two bedroom apartment in Manhattan.

I’ve always loved Airstream (proven by these CD cover art mockups for yet to be produced music) and have this dream of owning one someday. In fact, I'd like to drive a 40-foot Airstream motorhome pulling a 40-foot Airstream trailer in some sort of 80-foot decadent display of American streamlined coolness. Maybe I’ll settle for a Jeep Wrangler pulling this little DWR Airstream.

But at $50K, DWR’s Airstream will cost about twice as much as the Jeep.

If you're still wanting one, or if you just like to look, here it is.

Labels: , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

  • I think J.J. Cale lived in one for a while. That put them on my list of cool, too. I wish they made a boat, though I realize the design is probably unnecessary aerodynamically on the the water.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 9, 2007 at 6:47 PM  

  • @JP: Odd fact someone who worked for them once told me is that the name "Design Within Reach" actually referred to the time frame necessary to get the products (e.g. you could walk out of the store with one, whereas you previously had to wait months for your couch to be shipped from Italy via boat.)

    @Capt. F: Love JJ Cale. Interesting trivia, thanks.

    By Blogger Alan Wolk, at August 10, 2007 at 11:23 AM  

  • Nice to meet another J.J. Cale fan, Toad. Did you catch his last with guest artists? Strangely, I think I prefer my J.J. straight.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 11, 2007 at 10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home