Friday, August 22, 2008

Because "Umbrella" is a Silly Word

You ever wonder how something got its name? Me too. As I was preparing to walk from the car to the store, I found a long-neglected umbrella under the seat and used it, as Tropical Storm Fay would've soaked me through in the 15 second walk. And I start wondering why it's called an umbrella, and then as the word is repeated in my head, it eventually sounds nonsensical, like any word you repeat over and over again. So, I renamed it.

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

  • I love that you mentioned wigs and spelled it "towne." It's all about the details.

    By Blogger JT Taylor, at August 22, 2008 at 4:09 PM  

  • And getting Mary Poppins to endorse was quite a coup considering how bad the Penguin's agent was jocking you for the opportunity.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 22, 2008 at 5:19 PM  

  • dude...you have an 'umbrella' on your masthead.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 25, 2008 at 8:25 AM  

  • Penumbra in Spanish means shade, I think. So "umbrella" must come from some Latin word that means "protection" or "shade" or some such thing. Nevertheless, "Porta Porch" has a better ring to it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 25, 2008 at 2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home