Friday, May 21, 2010

OK, I Don't Hate New York Anymore

Having just returned, I had many of my prejudged notions confirmed (Yankees fans are everywhere and obnoxious as hell) and dispelled (New Yorkers are actually a very friendly lot). Purpose of the trip is explained over at my other blog.

And you know how when Beatles fans go to London, they can't resist taking a picture of themselves in that famous crosswalk, mimicking the Abbey Road album cover? I did the same on St. Mark's Place in homage to a far better album. (Get over it, Beatles freaks. I'm right and you know it.)

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

  • that's a few blocks from my office. NYers aren't actually as obnoxious as their rep, if only b/c many of them aren't from here. the ones from here, the yankees fans, different story.

    By Blogger Brian Morrissey, at May 21, 2010 at 9:39 AM  

  • I love St Marks. There is a great English Pub and my Favorite Afghan Restaurant (Khyber Pass) on the same block. And also got my first of my two tattoos a few blocks down at Fun City. The St marks Hotel has a nice pub as well. And I agree on the music view.

    As for friendly, NYers like people a lot, they just have very low patience for idiots and some tourists. I technically am a tourist for a bit longer since am migrating back to the city after 71 years in LA. But being a native I never have a problem making friends with strangers especially in pubs.

    But I do laugh that NYers try not to engage. They walk looking at the ground so when I say hello it freaks em out. But once over that they warm up lol. I mean in LA if you pass someone on the street and its just you and them they say hello. In NY oh man its like prying their eyes off the cement.

    As for Yankee fan? Go Mets =)

    After I move down later this year into Brooklyn or Lower East Side/Village you will always have a friend in the city.

    Just go along with me when I introduce you as someone who drinks coffee with gators, Trust me even 50 feet away NYers would be impressed ;-)

    By Anonymous Howie, at May 21, 2010 at 1:24 PM  

  • oops 17 years in LA not 71 Im not that old!

    By Anonymous Howie, at May 21, 2010 at 1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home