Monday, November 20, 2006

Stop Singing - And That's an Order

As noted by FishnChimps, "The difference between God and Bono is that God doesn't wander around Dublin thinking he's Bono."

Everyone's favorite Manhattan banking center manager/lead singer, Ethan Chandler, is being told to "cease and desist" by Universal Music Publishing Group, which owns the copyright to U2's "One," which Chandler modifed to rev up the troops at a recent BofA gathering.

In his defense, Chandler delivers the horrible corporate lyrics with passion, and his dream career may finally have some legs. He denies that he leaked the video, (warning: Cringe Factor 9) and you really want to believe him. Criticism has been merciless among bloggers, for good reason. If you haven't seen it already, I challenge you not to be embarrassed by this performance.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

6 Comments:

  • I think it's pretty funny. He actually has a pretty good voice for a balding/potbellied/tie wearing corporate type. Bono, watch out, here comes bank boy!

    By Blogger greencan, at November 20, 2006 at 10:34 AM  

  • Everyone is missing the point on this. These two guys were asked to do this. I really don't believe they were thinking about a new career. Lets face it, if you never had a job or work for a small company you just don't get the point of this stuff. Greencan, I bet you're a no talent wishing they had a life person hiding behind the internet. If your not, let me know when your next show is I would love to start a blog on you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 21, 2006 at 4:56 PM  

  • Anon:

    No one walked up to these guys without some knowledge of their talents and said "write us a song."

    And if Chandler had the chance, I can guarantee you he'd flee that corporate job if he thought he could make a living singing. He wouldn't have a website devoted to his music if he was totally sold on the B of A gig and THAT was his dream.

    By Blogger RFB, at November 21, 2006 at 5:15 PM  

  • The scary thing was, for a week after seeing this, my brain was hooked on cringeworthy-yet-soulful jingle. I found myself walking around town and humming "One bank.. that's got... Hiiiiiiiighheeerr Standards"!

    I don't completely rule out the possibility that it was a deliberately-seeded viral video designed to infect us snarky blog critics with a B of A meme.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 22, 2006 at 2:23 AM  

  • Oh, anon, most people would love to start a blog about me, but alas, my talents are only shared with my husband now :)

    By Blogger greencan, at November 22, 2006 at 9:32 AM  

  • I just threw up in my mouth a little.

    By Blogger Chris, at December 14, 2006 at 9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home