Monday, April 23, 2007

From Jingle Singer to Mover & Shaker

I'm not registered with any political party, and I'm far from sympathetic to Karl Rove, but when Clairol's Revlon's spokeswoman goes to the White House correspondents dinner to raise a ruckus over what she perceives as the most important issue of our day, it kinda makes me mad. Not because it isn't an important issue, it very well may be (after all, The Clash were onto this years ago - "The ice age is coming - the sun's zooming in) but because Sheryl Crow is not a global climate scientist. All she did was go see Al Gore's movie. Fine, Sheryl, go raise awareness, but start getting militant on me and I'm not hearing you much longer.

Sheryl got her start singing jingles in St. Louis. Her first hit was "All I Wanna Do." She acknowledges that the lyrics weren't hers (lifted from a poetry book) and she eventually got the poet who wrote them $50K in royalties. What she's never confessed is that the music from that song was stolen from the Stealers Wheel song "Stuck in the Middle with You." Listen to both songs and tell me it isn't true.

I know celebrities see it as their duty to use their celebrity to educate us groundlings on the concerns that concern them, but maybe educate yourself just a little before you start preaching. Here's a snapshot of Ms. Crow's perfect world.

I propose a limitation be put on how many squares of toilet paper can be used in any one sitting. Now, I don't want to rob any law-abiding American of his or her God-given rights, but I think we are an industrious enough people that we can make it work with only one square per restroom visit, except, of course, on those pesky occasions where 2 to 3 could be required.

I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she was speaking tongue in cheek.

Clowns to the Left of me. Jokers to the Right.

Labels: , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

7 Comments:

  • She can take my gun, but touch my wad of tree? This is going too far. Next thing you’ll tell me is that wasn’t really Kid Rock singing with her but Vanilla Ice.

    Makes me wonder now what Lance knew and when did he know it about her.\

    Hmmmm.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 23, 2007 at 8:09 PM  

  • I haven't heard nice things about her treatment of the Tuesday Night Music Club people. (That was the name right?) Most notably, Kevin Gilbert, who did a great CD called Toy Matinee and a few others before he -- oh never mind. But he was fantastic.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 23, 2007 at 9:42 PM  

  • Wow, my opinion of Lance just went way down. Did anyone ever stop to think we might be coming OUT of an ice age????????????

    By Blogger Jim in MO, at April 24, 2007 at 11:17 AM  

  • Yeah, Jim - no wonder Lance dumped her.

    By Blogger RFB, at April 24, 2007 at 11:19 AM  

  • Ohhh the hypocrisy of the private jet-setting, polluting celebrities that love to tell us how to "be green." See TSG for Crow's backstage rider- now don't all of those tour buses sound environmentally friendly?

    I'll keep my Charmin rights, thankyouverymuch!

    http://www.thesmokinggun.com/backstagetour/scrow/scrow1.html

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 24, 2007 at 5:56 PM  

  • I couldn't help but notice that you have a Clairol tag here. Crow is actually a Revlon spokesperson. Which kinda speaks to her effectiveness as both an environmentalist and an endorser.

    By Blogger Irene Done, at April 25, 2007 at 5:00 PM  

  • Excellent catch, Irene. I'll fix that. Could it be that as a guy I don't pay that much attention to haircoloring products?

    By Blogger RFB, at April 25, 2007 at 5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home