Saturday, August 11, 2007

It's Hard to See When Your Head's Up Your Butt

If the rumors are to be believed, HBO will not be renewing the cult hit John From Cincinnati, which is a big letdown for this cultist. The pundits, bloggers and people who actually make a living prognosticating about such important matters all predicit the axing of this show by HBO, just as the subscription network did to David Milch's other creation, Deadwood.

I don't watch too many shows religiously, but I've really enjoyed this one. HBO brass are looking at Nielsen ratings, which only reflect the raw numbers for a show that is just 9 weeks old. They aren't measuring loyalty or the fact that those who watch this show often watch it again just to pick up the very intriguing and well-written dialog. I've likened the conversational interplay in this show to modern Shakespeare; it's just twice as smart as anything else out there. I'll be the first to admit that the show has a few really, really bad actors, but they're canceled out by a few really, really good ones.

It's mysterious, hard to follow and it has a huge WTF factor, which your average American doesn't want to to be bothered with. They're more interested in American Idol and other assorted trash. "Show us humliation! Show us people eating worms!"

HBO knew when they launched this show that the audience would be small but loyal. If they do cancel, I'll be giving Showtime serious consideration. And don't you know HBO will be sure to release the whole season on DVD. And then they'll scratch their heads when it sells well.

That's how we do it in IB.

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

9 Comments:

  • That sucks JP.
    My wife is obsessed with the show and I've become a fan as well.

    I have been wondering though, how long they can keep the whole "WTF" thing going. It may be better to have it be like a BBC show, where there are 12 episodes and then it ends before it starts to suck.

    PS: They'd done some great online work promoting the show-- I blogged about it few weeks ago-- Yost websites and Mitch's anti-pollution video is on what appears to be a legitimate site.

    By Blogger Alan Wolk, at August 11, 2007 at 9:45 PM  

  • PS: Here's the link to the site with the Mitch Yost video: http://www.wildcoast.net/site/

    Seems like a legit site, no?

    By Blogger Alan Wolk, at August 11, 2007 at 9:48 PM  

  • JP, I've followed JFC from the start. We're well into the series and frankly....I don't get it. Love Milch's work, was pissed when they shut Deadwood down but I can't seem to follow the story line or care for that matter.

    But I'm crazy for the Conchords!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 11, 2007 at 10:40 PM  

  • Haven't seen this one, but it sounds like the same programming logic that destroyed Arrested Development. Too hip for the room, as they say.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 11, 2007 at 10:52 PM  

  • I me neither nor too have seen it, but having seen the same thing happen to the X-Files spinoff The Lone Gunmen which I loved, I share your pain.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 12, 2007 at 1:30 AM  

  • I love JFC but I have no idea whats going on. And that it what I love about it. If "LOST" can make it I hope this can as well.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 12, 2007 at 8:44 PM  

  • This has been the most stimulateing program I have watched in my 60yrs, for anyome who has lost a child the opening seen with John and Shawnie is very moveing

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 12, 2007 at 10:53 PM  

  • Great dialogue but the show doesn't give me enough answers to keep me interested and there's no emotional connection with the characters.

    Deadwoood was way better.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 13, 2007 at 10:40 AM  

  • 10/10/2007
    All hope is not lost for our beloved "JFC" please continue to blog the hell out of this!

    I have inside information to bring the show back, Jmonad needs subscribers NOW!!!

    "Jmonad"

    http://www.youtube.com

    Stop by www.saveJFC.net and sign the petition ... join a campaign "the END is NOT near IF we work together fast!"

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 10, 2007 at 1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home