Thursday, May 01, 2008

Editorial Fun at Wikipedia

Ever wonder about the origins of May Day? I frequently look up random things, like "where do we get the phrase..." and I generally trust Wikipedia for accuracy. Here's a great entry from Wikipedia about May Day:









No sooner did I discover that and grab a screen shot and they've got a redirect on the page to point to the real article here. The difference in the URLs was an uppercase "D" on the joke entry.

Now I have to go look up why pilots about to crash in old war movies shouted "Mayday, mayday!"

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

  • Interesting. I remember leaving May baskets in the neighborhood when I was a kid.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 1, 2008 at 1:05 PM  

  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayday_(distress_signal)

    By Blogger ke, at May 1, 2008 at 6:37 PM  

  • Oddly enough the distress signal entry had a joke in it. I had to look it up a few months ago and there was one subtle edit in the page. It has since been fixed, but the entry gave credit for mayday's creation to Frederick Stanley "Big Johnson" Mockford.

    It made me laugh anyway.

    By Blogger Unknown, at May 5, 2008 at 3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home