Wednesday, December 10, 2008

My Neighbors Didn't Hear About the Recession

Yesterday evening I was stringing lights on the house and my neighbor teases from across the street, "Well, now I guess we're going to have to do ours."

This morning a truck pulling a trailer marked "HANDYMAN" pulls up in front of their home and two guys commence to climbing on the roof and stringing up lights. They were still at it when I got home tonight.

I'm no handyman, but I'll be damned if I'm paying someone to string lights up. I always thought you hire a handyman for stuff you can't do, like building a panic room or installing a fire pole from the master bedroom down to the kitchen. I think my neighbors are both lazy and not hurting for cash. But that's good. They're keeping the economy in motion...and these handymen are milking the hell out of this job.

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share

5 Comments:

  • Maybe it's their Christmas gift to the professionally Handy. I'm hoping for a repeat of the guy in my hood who puts Christmas lights all around the abandoned car in his driveway. Wait a minute -- *I* can do that this year!! Woohoo!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 10, 2008 at 9:37 PM  

  • We’re with you. Real men hang Christmas lights poorly—themselves.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 10, 2008 at 10:46 PM  

  • You should have gone over and tried to impress the handymen with your Puck Lites™

    By Blogger HighJive, at December 11, 2008 at 1:40 AM  

  • Do they hire someone to open their presents too?

    By Blogger Jam, at December 11, 2008 at 5:10 AM  

  • I would totally be milking that job. "Hey Joe, this guy says he needs Christmas lights hung on his house... that takes, what, two weeks? Yeah, we can do a rush job and finish by the 25th, but it'll cost ya..."

    and I think Jam has asked a very good question :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 12, 2008 at 9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home