Friday, April 17, 2009

It Ain't Over 'til the Fat Lady - Oh, OK.

I'm one of those uncultured Americans who can't appreciate opera. We're everywhere. We don't know our arias from a hole in the ground. We'd fall asleep at the opera. We don't understand it, aren't interested in understanding it and don't mind that you think we're idiots for not understanding it.

Not that I am averse to "the arts" as a whole. I like a good play, as long as it's not a musical. I can even stomach a little classical music. And I've been to the ballet. Twice. I will even listen to NPR when I have no choice.

So, don't color me sad that the Orlando Opera has hit the skids. And I don't think the city should be surprised nor should we wring our hands at the death of the Orlando Opera. Just the name is an oxymoron. Orlando has an opera? This is a joke, right?

The local wags and nobs think this is harbinger of horrible economic times to come. No, it's not. It's the natural byproduct of horrible economic times. People stop supporting things they don't use or need. And rarely ever used.

"The lack of broad community support indicates that a resident professional opera company is not a priority of Orlando in these difficult times," said Joy Barrett Sabol, the opera board's chair.

No, Joy, and it never was. Sorry.

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

5 Comments:

  • On a happier note, Paula Dean is volunteering her musical talents. See the first image in the flash panel on the following site:

    http://www.sobewineandfoodfest.com/2009/index.php

    By Anonymous ButterLovers, at April 17, 2009 at 4:00 PM  

  • A friend once gave me tickets to a production of Madame Butterfly and, truth be told, it was the corniest thing I've ever seen. I wanted to smack poor Ms. Butterfly upside the head and tell her to grow some rice balls.

    Opera's not my favourite, either.

    By Blogger Teenie, at April 17, 2009 at 6:08 PM  

  • I'll bet the opera stars will be able to find work performing at Disney World.

    By Blogger HighJive, at April 17, 2009 at 10:06 PM  

  • OK...I'm not an opera fan either...but I admit to crying after I saw Phantom on Broadway in New York. I'm emotional-what can I say? :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 18, 2009 at 10:01 PM  

  • maybe if they put some mouse ears on the fat lady and charge $15 for a Coke, it would fly in Orlando?

    By Anonymous Chris, at April 20, 2009 at 10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home