Friday, November 05, 2010

"Like" is Such a Strong Word

Working on some stuff. Been a little preoccupied. You can help end my preoccupation by going over and "liking" the page the image at left links to. Facebook won't let you have your own page name until your page has 25 Likes. I'm at 21.

So hurry, act now. Don't wait. Walk, don't run.

Radio Free Babylon is sort of the "parent company" of what I do here as well as the "holding company" of all my other projects, and you'll note that my profile image on Blogger is the company's symbol.

As it says in the company's FAQ:

What's with the squiggly symbol?
That's the schematic representation for a resistor.

Why?
Because we are resistors.

What are you resisting?
Stuff and junk.

I keep saying "company" as if it still was a company, but I long ago let my incorporation lapse. What matters these days is securing domain names (I lost track of how many I've collected), Twitter accounts (9 and counting), Posterous, Tumblr and Facebook pages. Once you have all that down, legal takes care of itself. It only occurred to me in the last few days to make a Facebook page for RFB. And now, my procrastination is your emergency. Sorry. And thanks.

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

  • I'm really looking forward to the time when Facebook will be over. Probably replaced by something much worse. I'm sure I'd like your FB page quite a lot, but I'm not on Facebook, nor do I wish to be. But resistance is getting harder and harder. In Germany the previously state-owned and now private railway company is selling super-cheap tickets (as compared to their usual cutthroat prices) only via Facebook. So not being on Facebook is turning into a luxury you have to be able to afford. Even at the cost of not being able to support one of your favorite bloggers.

    By Blogger textferry, at November 5, 2010 at 10:37 AM  

  • Some would cal you stubborn, textferry, but I admire that resistance.

    Not being on Facebook is a luxury you have to be able to afford. Very well said.

    DB is now private? Is it as good as the old state-run railway was? I have always bragged on German trains.

    By Blogger RFB, at November 5, 2010 at 11:02 AM  

  • Yeah, DB has been private since 1994 (I had to check and am pretty surprised it's been so long). The former "Bahnchef" Mehdorn is one of the least popular Germans (at present, not of all times, the competition is too tough for that). He wanted to take DB public and to make the numbers look good, he squeezed money and cut costs wherever he could. With not so great results. Last summer, the local (urban) trains in Berlin didn't run at all 'cause they were all taken out of commission to get checked - something Mehdorn apparently neglected to do for years. People in Berlin were outraged and concerned what the tourists would now think of their city. But it seems that the tourists, many of whom are from Spain and Italy, hadn't really noticed that anything out of the ordinary was going on. They still found the public transportation system pretty reliable and punctual compared with what they're used to at home.
    So that's quite a digression from Facebook, but since I can't really write anything about that, there you go.

    By Blogger textferry, at November 7, 2010 at 5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home