Wednesday, May 23, 2007

What is WRONG with this Country?

So I'm doing my morning coffee drop-in on a few blogs and cruise Google News thing when I scroll down the page to find these life-changing stories from the Entertainment section of Google News: American Idol, Dancing With the Stars and American Idol's Paula Abdul Trips Over Her Dog and Breaks Her Nose. Wow.

I'm saddened, alarmed and thinking of becoming an expatriate. Nothing has polluted our culture more in recent years than reality TV. And now it's everywhere. Everything's a contest. Who wants to become a film director? Who wants to create a commercial for the Super Bowl? Who wants their mom to get a makeover? Who wants to be told on national TV that whatever they brought to the table really, REALLY sucked and they didn't make the cut? Who is so desperate for their 15 minutes of Shame and/or Fame that they will take either, as long as it means they're on TV?

As for American Idol, I've never watched it and never will. It is based solely on singing - and singing of a particular Atlantic City Vegas Branson Celine Dion Mariah Carey Cher Sinatra style that I hate. (Oh yes, I really DID just say something disparaging about "ol Blue Eyes." Never thought he had an ounce of talent. He talked his way through lyrics he didn't even write.) These contestants do cover songs, they don't play instruments, and they turn out by the hundreds of thousands when auditions open up for the next season.

I'm not sure who to blame for all of this. I think the fault may lie with Bob Saggett and his old show, America's Funniest Home Videos. It was the predecessor to YouTube, where alarming numbers of ordinary people created fake situations for the camera and then sent them to Bob in the hopes that he'd show their stupid clip on his stupid show. Just how many dresses and pairs of pants actually fall off at wedding receptions in this country in a year? Why would you cut down a tree right next to a parked car? And why did you have a video camera rolling when you were cutting down said tree? Everyone is so desperate.

There really are Two Americas, but not the two that John Edwards talks about.

Labels: , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

5 Comments:

  • The sad thing is that a lot of those stories make it to the CNN.com homepage and often lead the "real news". I've often thought of blogging on the CNN.com "headlines", but am waiting for a truly ridiculous day of news to do it.

    It's always something like,
    "Toddler mauled by croc"
    "Paula Abdul breaks nose"
    "Firefighters rescue kittens"
    blah
    blah
    blah
    "Ronald Regan dies"
    "American soldiers taken hostage"

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 23, 2007 at 1:35 PM  

  • Your headline made me laugh.

    One of the GE Guys loves American Idol and he asked me if I was upset about Melinda. I asked him who Melinda was and he asked me, "Don't you watch American Idol?!"

    I said no and he goes, "What is WRONG with you?!"

    By Blogger Thinking In Vain, at May 23, 2007 at 3:53 PM  

  • Lemme guess - the GE guy is a salesman?

    By Blogger RFB, at May 23, 2007 at 5:30 PM  

  • It's like that with me and Drudge every single time I scan the page there. But then again, I do get great material off there.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 23, 2007 at 7:19 PM  

  • Lemme guess - the GE guy is a salesman?

    Yep!

    By Blogger Thinking In Vain, at May 24, 2007 at 8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home