Thursday, October 04, 2007

Lord, There Goes Johnny Appleseed

I was a huge fan of the hard-to-fathom "John From Cincinnati" on HBO. I couldn't fathom it, and that was half the draw. The brass at HBO foolishly killed the show after only 10 episodes. They've since replaced it with nonsense like "Tell Me You Love Me," which is supposedly oh-so-groundbreaking because it shows raw, hand-held camera, no-soft-filter sex. I've watched it. It's a sappy soap-opera with occasional sex, some of it between people in their late 60s. Uh...no thanks.

So, I gave up on trying to get HBO to reconsider their idiocy. The actors, the directors, the creators and producers have all moved on to other efforts. Some fans, however, are dying much harder. Last week, the faithful took out this full-page ad in The Hollywood Reporter. Could've used better art direction and copy, but I like the quote from The Mescaleros song (featuring Joe Strummer), which was the theme song to JFC's opening. (Watch that little film. It's a work of art by Rock Paper Scissors and A52.)

I admire the grassroots effort by these die-hards and hope HBO is watching and listening. They've pissed off plenty of subscribers of late. Now they've got an army of surf-noir fans knocking on a very closed door.

Fine print: JFC was a "hated it or loved it" show. If you fall in the "hated it" camp, please spare me your "Dumbest. Show. Ever." comments.

Labels: , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

5 Comments:

  • I'm in total agreement with you. This show was great BECAUSE of the "WTF Factor". Now, we're stuck with that dreadful. depressing "tell me you Love me"....UGH.

    I also agree with you on Showtime, who seems to be kicking HBO's ass right now with programming. Dexter, Californication are 2 great shows, tho' Showtime's style is a little "network-ish" which makes them not quite as cool as HBO in their prime ( a few years ago)

    HBO raised the bar on TV for me when I got addicted to Six Feet under, and after the last episode of that I felt like HBO had basically blown everyone out of the water.

    Oh well....I'm pretty frikken disappointed with HBO and I'm headed for Showtime, like you, if JFC doesn't come back.

    By Blogger Van Boogie Overdrive, at October 5, 2007 at 2:19 AM  

  • Mrs. T. was a HUGE fan of this show. She's going to love the title sequence link. Thanks.

    By Blogger Alan Wolk, at October 5, 2007 at 10:29 AM  

  • I am bitter over this faith-no-more attitude from HBO. I am a huge JFC fan; thankfully I have all 10 episodes recorded. Showtime is the better network now-with Dexter, not so much Californication, Weeds, oh yeah. BBBuh-buh, HBHO.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 5, 2007 at 12:01 PM  

  • I too have tried t owatch TMYLM, and figured that there are plenty of other things to do with my Sunday evenings. I'm sure many, many more feel the same way, and HBO is blowing smoke in their keyboards when they write that the show is building viewership. It sucks!

    JFC was such an amazing, thought provoking show. HBO will figure it out, but not before it's too late!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 5, 2007 at 2:29 PM  

  • Attention JFC fans!

    Subscribe to Jmonad video's on
    http://www.youtube.com

    The internet is HUGE!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 10, 2007 at 4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home