Saturday, November 03, 2007

From the Streets of Sacramento to the Freeways of LA

I love to throw together truthful parodies of the crap I'm working on sometimes, if only for the benefit of keeping my coworkers lighthearted and mindful that we're really just bullshitters at the end of the day. (My boss called my "cynical" yesterday. I said "You are too, you just try to hide it.") Or I like to inject truth into an ad that I know the market will respond to, even if the client might freak out. Those ideas usually get shot down, but I've always believed in speaking to the audience honestly, and if I can talk someone into letting me do it, I know it will get results.

Sometimes when the camera's rolling, things get a little playful. This spokesman is doing a stand-up for some car dealer in San Bruno, a San Francisco suburb, in what appears to be the late 60s or early 70s. The info at YouTube says this was a live broadcast, but I can't believe that. I'm sure it was to tape, with the crew goofing off and saying what they really thought of this business of selling used cars. At any rate, it's gold. Lots of adult language, so if that might offend you, don't watch.



Here's an essay I wrote in 2002 about used cars.

Labels: , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

  • I love stuff like this because it reveals that the core elements of human behavior, especially in business matters, haven't changed much in decades. Loved the essay, too. I'm so glad you have an appreciation of the well-deserved reputation used car salesmen have. They're like a human freak show to me. (SEE crusty souls born without soul our conscience!)

    When I started in advertising, that was the one profession considered sleazier than my new one, according to the USA Today infograph I read during my first week at the agency.

    Given your appreciation of the breed, I'll be sure to keep you informed when I take one of the beasts to court in West Palm. At a minimum I'll get a nice vid out of it.

    By Blogger chuck rampart, at November 3, 2007 at 6:09 PM  

  • I saw this many years ago, and, in fact, heard that it was the inspiration for the movie "Used Cars" starring Kurt Russell. But that may be complete crap. Never-the-less, funny stuff.

    By Blogger Unknown, at November 5, 2007 at 6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home