Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Alt + Tab as Fast as You Can

Occasionally it is required in CubeWorldTM that we get up and visit another cube to talk something over with a colleague. As I walk up and down the aisles, I watch as screens quickly shift back to work-related stuff when the cube occupants hear footsteps or see shadows. They're always a second too late. There's the young designer who enjoys celebrity gossip and is always minimizing a movie or TV site. There's the Long Island transplant obsessed with all things Yankees, exiting to a production spreadsheet when I approach. We have a Brit proofreader who is very active on eBay. One of my fellow writers has an amusing attachment to Barbies and can be caught leaving his favorite Barbie forum where he is responding to his fellow collectors.

Just leave the window up. It's better than looking guilty. Share what you're looking at with whomever happens to wander in. We all do it, so quit pretending to be working when someone approaches. You'll get your work done. We trust you. It's OK to have fun once in a while.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

9 Comments:

  • 'Packs, I do the opposite. As soon as I hear someone, I'll exit out of a copy document and flip on "2girls1cup".

    That usually keeps visits gloriously short and and infrequent.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 6, 2008 at 8:56 AM  

  • I'm surprised that with the net nanny in place at Cube World that Ebay, TMZ, or the Barbie Forum is accessible.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 6, 2008 at 10:32 AM  

  • the key is in the facial expression - as long as you look like you're thinking really hard people think its research for a client or take notes.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 6, 2008 at 11:53 AM  

  • Personally, I have my laptop docked and open, so I have my monitor, and my laptop screen. I have some excel macro or outlook stuff on the main screen, and my research on the laptop screen. So, I'm simultaneously working and not working at the same time.

    By Blogger raytubes, at May 6, 2008 at 2:54 PM  

  • Guilty.

    But I keep what I'm working on up and just hit apple + H.

    I like to think it works. :p

    By Blogger Thinking In Vain, at May 6, 2008 at 8:59 PM  

  • I work from home.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 8, 2008 at 12:37 AM  

  • I do this at home too. :p

    Because otherwise I get comments about how I spend waaaay to much time on the computer.

    By Blogger Thinking In Vain, at May 8, 2008 at 8:54 AM  

  • I didn't know about alt + H since I always click F11 or apple + M. Then again, more and more I care less and less about what people see me doing on a computer. I'm not checking anal creampie pics on the payroll and I'm not lagging behind on my work load. Shit, give thanks I don't start learning how to hack so I don't modify the company website.

    By Blogger Joker, at May 8, 2008 at 4:09 PM  

  • joker rocks!

    lost in ebay land looking for the elusive MXR micro amp with free shipping

    Jimbo

    By Blogger warbird2010, at May 10, 2008 at 1:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home