Thursday, June 19, 2008

Greenpeace Hates My Favorite Grocery Store

I don't care how they were caught. They're delicious and there are more where these came from...and that's alright by me. I will shop there now with more gusto.

Greenpeace has released a report ranking the seafood purchasing practices of major US grocery chains. My store of choice, Publix (a company I have praised here on a couple of occasions) comes in dead last for their cruelty to sea life and the sea in general... or something. None of the stores graded even got passing marks from Greenpeace. Everyone sucks. Everyone's a failure in the eyes of Greenpeace. Everyone wants to hurt the sea creatures in the name of profit. Well, at least they aren't saying, "Lobsters have feelings! Save the lobsters!"

Extreme environmentalists are like the fervent zealot door-to-door evangelists who, when met with resistance and slammed doors, regard their rejection as “persecution” and proof that they are on the right path. "God smiles on us, surely."

Greenpeace suggests the following when purchasing seafood: Next time you’re in the grocery store, ask the seafood counter or store manager about the type of seafood offered and how it was caught or farmed. If they don’t know, ask them to find out for you so you can make sustainable choices.

That would go about like this:

Me: So, Chad. How was this farm-raised salmon farmed?
Chad: I dunno.
Me: Then I’ll need to speak to the store manager.
Chad: You serious?
Me: Yes. Please get the manager.
Chad: OK.
(2 minute wait)
Tom (Store Manager) : How can I help you?
Me: Chad here doesn’t know how this farm-raised salmon was farmed. How can I make a sustainable choice without that information? Greenpeace tells me I should ask these questions and if you don’t have good answers, I’m taking my shopping someplace else.
Tom: It’s farm-raised. I think that means it’s like, you know, raised on a salmon farm.
Me: I see. Wow, nice crab legs. Those things are HUUUGE! Have you ever seen that show “Crab Fishermen In Icy Water?”
Chad: You mean “World's Deadliest Catch”?
Me: Yeah. That’s awesome.
Tom: We have a special on crab legs right now.
Me: How were they caught?
Tom: Probably like they are on that show.
Me: Cool. I’ll take 3 pounds.

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

  • Superb post. This is why you're one of the best bloggers anywhere.

    Funny. With substance. And true.

    By Blogger Ben Mall, at June 20, 2008 at 6:11 AM  

  • Grazie, MBM.

    By Blogger RFB, at June 20, 2008 at 6:39 AM  

  • What we need is for individuals to get together and start making INFORMED choices with the dollars they spend. Greenpeace isn't saying "Hey! Every grocery store sucks, and you shouldn't buy fish", they're telling you it's time to be a smart and conscious consumer! The more of us out there, the less negative impact we're having on the Earth.

    PLUS, if we all continue buying unsustainable fish... THERE WILL BE NOTHING LEFT IN THE FUTURE. Think about it people, when demand surpluses supply, we resort to unsustainable tactics to obtain the product... which never leaves us in good spot down the road.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 20, 2008 at 12:33 PM  

  • So does that mean I should make the most out of the sale before they run out?

    Anon, I can see your point, but better business practices the world round would save the world. Decisions people make when purchasing foods might make a small percentage of a difference and trust me I'm not one to say, well it's just me. But the reality or so it seems is that as long as there's business, large chains will do what they can to supply a demand. Does that mean possibly cloning fish in the future? It's not out of the question.

    But a lot more damaging to the Earths ecosystems are multinational companies spilling toxic waste into the ocean making it unsafe or pretty much toxic to eat anything that comes from pretty much anywhere, but they're still making a buck and people are still making an honest living.

    Yes there is a movement of people trying to do something better for the world but sadly, it's not the norm and most people really don't give a fuck.

    I do agree people should make better choices with pretty much every aspect of their lives me included. There should be less fast food, less meat, more veggies and a more balanced diet... then again, eating right lately costs more than making ends meet, well if you want something accessible that is.

    Trust me, if plastic weren't on its way to outnumbering fish in the Pacific I'd say that one of the main problems is people and their decisions, but since pollution is human created, company sponsored and corporate endorsed, then we're pretty much in a downward spiral anyways. Let us at least enjoy the Tuna steak that's on sale.

    By Blogger Joker, at June 24, 2008 at 10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home