Thursday, July 17, 2008

How To Be an Internet Ass

I love to include photos in my posts, and I will often simply do a Google image search for what I'm looking for. If the image is really nice and clearly came from a photographer who is attempting to make a living from his or her photography, I will include a link to the photographer's site at the bottom of the post. This is the standard practice in blogging. If you steal it, at least give credit. It is the expected reciprocal kindness that creates traffic for the site where the picture was found. I frequently find some of my own creations on other sites, and I appreciate the traffic as the other sites include a link to where they found the image.

In this day of Flickr and images readily available to everyone, to expect that you can keep others from looking at or copying your images is to be living in the past, in the era of someone like, I don't know, John McCain, who can't get online without the assistance of his aides.

On a recent post, I searched for "rain" and found a black and white image that really struck me as beautiful. I included the words "picture stolen from" at the bottom of the post, with "from" linked to the photographer's site.

He quickly sent me this note:

Mr. Jetpack,

I noticed your photo on your 7/17/08 of [location deleted to prevent anyone from visiting this guy's site] in the rain looks a little familiar. It came from my website, [URL removed to keep anyone from visiting this guy's site].

I noticed you DID NOT give me any photo credits, failed to contact me for permission and basically hijacked my photo for use without any legal consent.

Please remove it immediately.


"Looks a little familiar." Nice snarky start. And I wonder how Mr. Photographer even knew I had posted his image. Could it be that someone actually visited his site from my site and his analytics told him so? And he went to this blog, saw his image, freaked out and failed to read the post to the bottom where I gave him credit? Hijacked? Legal consent? Give me a break, dude.

I alerted him to the link at the bottom of the post thusly:

[Name removed to keep anyone from visiting this guy's site],

You are mistaken. If you'll notice at the bottom of the original post I included a link to your site, as I generally do when I appreciate a good photo.


If you still don't want people going to your site from my site, I will take down the image and the link.

Let me know.


Thanks


I'm tired of waiting for his reply.

Dude, you've tested my patience. I could understand your incalcitrance intransigence had I been SELLING your photograph for profit, or if I even made money from this blog through advertising. As it was, I was simply providing you free traffic for your nice picture.

Your picture is gone along with the link to your site. I've replaced it with the photo above, shot in the backyard about five minutes ago. Your comments to my blog and their associated links have also been removed.

You have a lot to learn about the Internet.

Labels: , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

13 Comments:

  • What an ass.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 17, 2008 at 9:27 PM  

  • True, you weren't making money from it but his photo was helping you to illustrate a point. If he wants to be an ass it's his right to do so. Personally I would have just searched flickr for a pre-approved image.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 17, 2008 at 9:38 PM  

  • Lesson learned, Mason. I will do as you suggest in the future.

    By Blogger RFB, at July 17, 2008 at 10:00 PM  

  • True Confessions: I clicked through to his site when the link was visible.

    What a jacky.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 17, 2008 at 10:46 PM  

  • I noticed the photo earlier. It was a nice picture and I did read his comments. I'd have to agree with the photographer. One should ask permission before using someone elses art work. He has a disclaimer at the bottom of his website stating so. If anything put him over the edge it was probably the "stolen" comment.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 17, 2008 at 11:30 PM  

  • Can you spell copy right??
    Integrity, respect for others property? Others do it so it must be OK.. You'll never get it!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 18, 2008 at 12:02 AM  

  • Only on Flickr. Never fails.

    JP: compfight.com.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 18, 2008 at 1:51 AM  

  • Anon #2. Yes, I can spell copyright. But you can't.

    By Blogger RFB, at July 18, 2008 at 6:34 AM  

  • Adam:

    If you're still out there, I'd like to bury the hatchet and post a link to your photo site again - only problem is the link you left on the other post doesn't go anywhere.

    By Blogger RFB, at July 18, 2008 at 7:14 AM  

  • I wonder how this guy and your anonymous commenters feel about We Heart It or FFFFound.

    Seems a little counterproductive to police your images to the point that they don't get seen.

    By Blogger Thinking In Vain, at July 18, 2008 at 9:20 AM  

  • The most oidious part is the faux-formality of it all. Instead of just saying "hey hook a brother up with a link" he calls you "Mr. Jetpack."


    ughhhhhhhhhhhhh this has all the congeniality of a visit to the principle's office.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 18, 2008 at 12:06 PM  

  • Dude! What an ungrateful ass. His site has probably never had so much traffic.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 18, 2008 at 1:39 PM  

  • Careful jet, at the rate you're going you'll be sued for wrongful usage of another persons intellectual property and for defamation because that's the best way to resolve a situation.

    Though I can see the point to all this copy right or wronging, I think what we fail to remember is that great content aside, this is a blog people. A blog. A simple site created by a barbecuing Floridian not for personal monetary gain but for personal expression. So feel free to drop the drama and keep taking pictures so we can steal by posting links to them.

    By Blogger Joker, at July 22, 2008 at 10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home