Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Bye Bye Bloggers


Two creative bloggers I enjoy have called it quits this week, and it's only Tuesday. First, Scamp threw in the towel, endeavoring to write a novel. Good luck with that. I'm still waiting on an agent to take the chance with my first.

Now Catcher in the Rye has left the ad blog world as well.

On the subject of dying blogs, The New York Times had an interesting piece last Sunday, in which they liberally quoted some guy from Technorati, who seemed to be speaking from a temporal rift in the space-time continuum. On the subject of where authors of blogs disappear to, the leader of the always-down and never-accurate Technorati said, “Some of that activity has gone to Facebook and MySpace, and obviously Twitter is a new phenomenon.” Ya think? MySpace? Really? And bloggers don't quit blogging to go to Twitter, this thing you call a new phenomenon. Bloggers just get tired of the ball and chain a blog can be. The article mentions that some people hoped to get rich from their blogs. If you got into blogging to make money, well - I'm sorry you believed that was possible.

It gets old, I guess, this blogging thing. But I'll keep doing it for now. It's a creative outlet for me. I've always been the guy who draws cartoons about co-workers or creates ads clients will never see, much less run. I'm the guy that always gets called "blunt" and then gets called on the carpet for embarrassing superiors in front of their bosses. I'm wiser now (I hope) and I think I've learned to draw that back a bit in the office, the better to keep my job, so I need this blog to shout and spout my nonsense. Or maybe I just need to stop looking for shit to make fun of. Haven't figured it out yet.

Best to you, Scamp and Catcher. Enjoyed your insights. Tell me how it feels in a few months. If you say, "Quitting that blog was so liberating," I may consider joining you.

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

5 Comments:

  • I believe in thinning the herd, but wish someone would consult with me on which blogs should go. I've prepared a list.

    By Blogger HighJive, at June 10, 2009 at 12:44 AM  

  • Shout and Spout? You bet! This has been an outlet for me...only been at it since December. It depends on your expectations...I blog to learn, hear other points of view (considering I'm in the middle of nowhere) and let others know that advertising exists beyond the Big City. I love yours...dont stop!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 10, 2009 at 1:24 AM  

  • I second that, adchick.. "I love yours...dont stop!"

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 10, 2009 at 10:02 AM  

  • HJ:

    love to see that list

    By Blogger RFB, at June 10, 2009 at 10:17 AM  

  • @HJ - I’m going to reblog that comment. Or retweet it. Or something.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 14, 2009 at 4:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home