Monday, January 08, 2007

Old Spice's New Edge Not So New

With all the hype surrounding Old Spice's attempts to hip themselves up and make a dent in the Axe Body Spray market, I thought it might be educational to show how "progressive and edgy" Old Spice was way back in 1971, "pushing the envelope" (that's your cue to vomit) and apparently going for the gay market. Having scraped the barrel on the "Manly yes, but I like it too" line that positioned the cologne as all colognes are positioned - as chick magnet - Old Spice experiments here in those freewheeling 70s. (OK - that line actually belonged to Irish Spring - but same difference. Colgate + Palmolive or Proctor + Gamble, it's all the same.)

The young guy stalks Captain Old Spice all around town, just to sniff his wake. The Captain finally says, "Take a bottle of my man musk home with you and fantasize in private, kid. You're freaking me out and worrying my lady. I keep it right here in my sailor jacket at all times. Catch. Now get lost!"




There is nothing new under the sun.

You know that history repeats itself.
What you just done so has somebody else.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

  • gay guys are the only ones who use deoderant anyway

    By Blogger Matt Brand, at January 8, 2007 at 11:36 AM  

  • 'Manly, Yes.....etc ' wasn't Old Spice it was IRISH SPRING. C'mon, all those summer mornings watching Bob Barker while eating fruit loops taught me a thing or two

    Warbird

    By Blogger warbird2010, at January 9, 2007 at 7:36 AM  

  • my dad still wears Old Spice...won't even try anything else. But, back to the matter at hand...very gay 70's. It would have been cooler if a gaggle of girls was following his scent wake

    By Blogger greencan, at January 9, 2007 at 9:58 AM  

  • I love the spot, MTLB, which is what prompted this post, until I read the piece in the NYT that basically lifted W+K on a pedestal for being so "edgy" and "outside the box."

    It's a just a better execution of the same old idea.

    By Blogger RFB, at January 12, 2007 at 7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home