Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Locals Only Part II

From the couple who name their mortgage business "AAAAA Mortage" so they can be first in the Yellow Pages under the "mortgage" heading, to the hair salons with puns for names, like "The Best Little Hairhouse" and "Shears To You," you just can't stifle the often awful creativity of the small business owner who can't afford an ad agency. Just as everyone's a creative, everyone's also a witty brand-builder, often with some pretty cheesy results.

I've been meaning to grab a picture of the local landscaper who does a few yards in my neighborhood. He laughed when I asked if I could take a picture of his truck and told me, "Kids don't get it." I think he's probably wrong. The ones who likely don't get it are the old folks who hire him. Actually, this slogan could go both ways. It could help or hurt, depending on a tricky calculation that compares the viewer's PC Sensitivity Quotient (PCSQ) against their Middle School Humor Index (MSHI). My personal MSHI is pretty high, often cancelling out my PCSQ.











Earlier in "Locals Only"

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

  • Speaking of local advertising, do you have a God update from across the street?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 6, 2007 at 6:24 PM  

  • I really need to take the camera over there and ask him some questions. I've been putting it off for fear of making him look stupid. He is my neighbor after all. Then again, he's my neighbor with a strange sign in his yard.

    That does it - I'm doing it. The sign is still up, by the way.

    By Blogger RFB, at March 7, 2007 at 3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home