Sunday, November 18, 2007

They Give Us Those Nice Bright Colors

The traditionalists, Ross Halfin among them, decry the advance of digital photography because, "It's about taking photos, not fucking around on a laptop and putting any old shit out and claiming you're a photographer... any idiot with a digital camera thinks they're a photographer."

I would agree that it is much harder to take a good photograph on film. Having played with film all of my life and now using digital, I prefer digital. I'm still learning. I'm not claiming to be a photographer, but I do enjoy "fucking around on a laptop and putting any old shit out."

These are from the weekend. The first is when I happened upon the Fighting Pink Shirts vs. the Illegal Immigrant Brits in a local soccer match. I like the action of the cleat to the groin - and the motorcycle in the parking lot in the background.

The second is just a nice contrast. When you envision Zep-Heads in the park, you don't generally picture them reading "Smart Money."

(Click 'em - they get bigger)

Labels: , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

  • What kind of cam did you get? When my boy was playing a lot of club soccer I bought what I thought would be a good digital camera to immortalize those adventures, and it was a great camera -- for everything but sports. The shutter lag was horrible. I learned to see three seconds into the future. I think the new ones pretty much eliminated that.

    I have to say, there's one undeniable advantage to digital, which is you can shoot as much as you want without going broke. When I shot for a tiny town newspaper I'd always shoot as many as possible to get the best shot, especially with sports -- or anything with people or animals.

    When they get digital HD video cams small enough, we can just shoot video and pull our stills from that.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 19, 2007 at 7:38 AM  

  • Yeah - the ability to waste shots all day long is great. As is, of course, the instantaneous revelation that a shot sucked and you can pitch it right there.

    Using the Nikon D50, which is pretty versatile. I still keep my old Pentax K1000 around though.

    By Blogger RFB, at November 19, 2007 at 7:55 AM  

  • the zep guy is using the magazine to conceal the drugs he's selling. it's a signal to prospective buyers. smart money—get it?

    By Blogger HighJive, at November 20, 2007 at 3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home