Thursday, June 18, 2009

It's a Cookie and a Cracker - You Can Figure it Out

The design world is (was) buzzing about what Baker Associates did for a couple of iconic junk food products for Target. At one discussion, a dissenter says, "When you mess with classic brands like this it looks more like they were robbed, not cleaned."

I wholeheartedly disagree. I see these packages and I say, "Nice." A few others see it the same.

But my opinion is likely suspect. My ideal kitchen would be all stainless steel with a drain in the floor and coiled hoses coming down from the ceiling to rinse the whole place off after I make a mess. The pantry would be filled with easy-to-identify items like these packages. Those comparing this to Tropicana's much-hissed-at repackaging failure are missing a key point: Tropicana's redesign made the product look generic. These are still very clearly Oreo cookies and Ritz crackers.

I see Target as understanding a good chunk of their clientele; the person who appreciates style but can't afford it. This seems a nod to the whole Michael Graves side of the business. Those with their boxers in a bind, their panties in a wad, their knickers in a twist can take comfort in the fact that Target is calling this an "in and out" for the summer only. That's too bad.

Labels: , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

  • yeah, this is awesome. Why can't clients figure it out that less is ALWAYS more.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 19, 2009 at 8:53 AM  

  • These are great. I love that they put them in target store where they'll be discovered by a slightly more design savvy crowd.

    By Anonymous kiss my black ads, at June 19, 2009 at 5:17 PM  

  • Hi Where's my Jetpack!
    I saw your name at UNICLOCK user's blog list!
    Because I found the great application a for iPhone
    from same country Japan, I thought you may be interested
    in these.....try it!

    It is called "bijoCal" and everyday it introduce a new
    beautiful Japanese girl through, daily in weekdays.

    PC : http://www.bijogoyomi.com/iphone.html

    iPhone : http://vasily.jp/bijo/0906/

    Blog Parts : https://www.aricablog.com/bijo/


    I am thinking to produce a community among whom
    interested in this..... do you like to join me?


    hyakutaro

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 21, 2009 at 9:33 AM  

  • jetpacks,

    what did you think of hyaku's apps? plus, i think he's posting in what some refer to as engrish.

    By Blogger HighJive, at June 21, 2009 at 9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home