Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Stinging Bing

I'd read nothing but positive reviews for Bing, so I decided to conduct a little test of the Microsoft search engine. A self-serving test, but a test nonetheless.

Yesterday I wrote a post called Swiss Army Airstream. I typed that phrase, without quotes, into Google. The post I wrote yesterday is the third search result for the phrase. Type the same phrase into Bing, and I stopped trying to find my post after ten pages of search results.

Now, I understand that Google might be indexing my blog faster than Bing since Where's My Jetpack? is hosted on Google's Blogger platform, and I also get that Bing might want to take their time indexing Google hosted results, much the way Microsoft's spellcheckers pretended not to know what the word "Google" was for the longest time. This isn't unbiased science, but I have proven, at least for myself, that there's no need to switch from a good thing to a questionable thing.

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

  • Will add that all the positive reviews for Bing feel like pr hype generated by either Microsoft or one of its suppliers/agencies. Why would media sources like newspapers feel the need to report on a new search engine? Loved the recent story claiming Bing is overtaking Yahoo! Bing is stealing share from the service no one is using. Brilliant.

    By Blogger HighJive, at July 21, 2009 at 7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home