Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Big Idea - no CGI

Hate being late to the game, but I just saw this last night on Comedy Central during Colbert (I think). I love the notion of innovative low tech ideas that grab your eye. This one plays on Sprint's theme of "Speed of Light."



I know Sprint has had some troubles of late and is in hot water for firing some of their more bitchy customers, but they seem to be making moves against the monolith of AT&T /Apple and its glroious new Savior of the Universe, the iPhone. I don't know how Sprint's service works, as I've been locked into Cingular/AT&T for too long.

I'm pretty sure every service has its pitfalls and drawbacks - and all you're left with to distinguish them in the end is marketing. This does that, I think. As someone pointed out on American Copywriter, the writing could use some tweaking, but still, it's not bad.

Notes on YouTube say the park this was shot at is Yerba Buena Gardens in San Francisco and that the music is by Architecture in Helsinki.

Labels: , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

7 Comments:

  • v/o kind of sounds like you....is just me or is there some religious symbolism hidden in the animation?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 17, 2007 at 10:04 AM  

  • I have to admit that I kind of wanted to switch to Sprint after I saw this commercial.

    By Blogger Thinking In Vain, at July 17, 2007 at 10:11 AM  

  • Ya think, DS? I wish I was landing VO gigs like Sprint. Haven't done a VO in a while, but I'd resurrect my silent voice if someone like this came calling. I'd just had it with bankruptcy attorneys and regional building materials centers.

    Didn't notice the religious symbolism. Watching again.

    OK - I saw a fish. But it looked like it came up out of the water to eat a guy.

    And the rocket image looks very much like the rocket icons I have over in the right sidebar here.

    By Blogger RFB, at July 17, 2007 at 10:20 AM  

  • The volcano symbolizes God creating the world. The fish refers to Jesus feeding the masses. The Sun has plenty of spiritual connotations, including Son of God. And of course, if you do sign up for Sprint, you’ll inevitably pray to heaven that they all rot in Hell for their lousy customer service.

    By Blogger HighJive, at July 17, 2007 at 4:50 PM  

  • Brilliant, HJ.

    By Blogger RFB, at July 17, 2007 at 5:04 PM  

  • And their new tag will be “More redemption in more places.”

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 17, 2007 at 11:47 PM  

  • wwjd: what would jesus dial

    By Blogger HighJive, at July 18, 2007 at 10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home