Friday, October 05, 2007

Grannies in a Landslide

Rob Mosley of Nonsense, a London-based agency, has asked if I would comment on his firm's contest to determine which website concept they should go with. (You may go and vote now.) His actual email subject line was "Worth a mention? Or plain old turd?" Having been forced in the past to write direct response emails, I always appreciate a good subject line.

I will play middle of the road broadcaster here and say "They're all very worthy concepts." Billboard, Bulletin Board and Grannies are great ideas. I will predict, however, that Grannies will shred the other two in competition. (I still disagree with Stuart, who commented over at AdRants that I didn't understand what I was talking about when I said Bulletin Board had been done by Firehouse Dallas, as designed by James H. of Yonder Ponder.)

Just as it's always been somewhat "underground funny/cool/hip" to like bacon, you can't go wrong with Grannies. They're out of touch with the culture (hopefully), generally full of wisdom and usually good for a laugh (unless they've started to lose their minds and drool regularly). Not to draw too many comparisons between Grannies and bacon, but hopefully you know what I mean.

And an excellent use of social media on the part of Nonsense to get the word out about their agency. See? It can be done.

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

  • Of course, the gang at Firehouse (James, myself (writer) and two other AD/ACDs) ripped off the nav from some photographer's website. Also, only one of the four people who created the site are still at FH. So take that "best places to work" plaque that's on there with the biggest grain of salt you can find. Nonetheless, you can't be grannies.

    By Blogger Jason Fox, at October 9, 2007 at 9:43 AM  

  • Just the nav, Fox. And I think we stole the brief from TRG or something.

    By Blogger James-H, at October 28, 2007 at 8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home