Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Steady as She Goes

What was to have been a fairly short gig is now going on its 7th month as I continue to freelance in the giant corporation’s creative resources department. It’s not as awful as when I first arrived, but it took me forever to get used to the idea of wearing real clothes, like shoes, socks, belts, long pants and the other necessary business-casual attire. Also, not having the ability to hop on my bike and pedal a few miles in search of inspiration was a tough one to get used to. I also miss showering at noon, not spending money on gas, the occasional swim and the view from the home-office window, which included grass and trees and other real-life things. Attending meetings by mobile from wherever I happened to be was another luxury I never fully appreciated.

And while that world was cool, it's a memory for now, not to return until some other projects in the works line themselves up. CubeWorld™ is better these days. Can't bitch. Shouldn't bitch. Trying not to bitch. I’ve been fortunate enough to work on some actual creative projects lately, so the copying and pasting gets a break once in a while. It helps that my fellow crewmembers are all decent people—and we're all in this boat together. (Inspirational poster, anyone?) But don't worry, if some inane and mockable Office Space moment happens (and they do frequently) I'll be mocking it here.

And since I’m a near lifer, I finally brought in some “art” to make my drab cube more tolerable. Here’s one of my favorite “sculptures.” It’s a cardboard Shatner head to which I have affixed a pair of real aviator sunglasses. The Shat hangs on the cube wall behind me, taunting me to, "Adjust your attitude, Mister."

Labels: , , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

5 Comments:

  • Don't you feel more productive wearing a belt and shoes?

    Did you don a Hawaiian shirt for tropical day at the office?

    P.S. I miss Thursday band names.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 18, 2008 at 2:29 PM  

  • No. And I've seen chicks in flip-flops here, so I'm about to shout sexual discrimination,,,,man.

    No, I did not don a Hawaiian shirt.

    I will return to Thursday band names. How's "Jeremiah Railroad" for a starter?

    By Blogger RFB, at March 18, 2008 at 3:16 PM  

  • Has it been 7 months already? Well, then again, I'm not in there....

    By Blogger Thinking In Vain, at March 18, 2008 at 3:24 PM  

  • ah, yes. takes me back to when i used to wear a tie to my lame-o production job. but at least you got good A/C, right? it's been hot as a tamale in Fla lately.

    By Blogger jos, at March 18, 2008 at 5:34 PM  

  • To unboldly go where so many of us have gone before. I traded in nice shoes for steel toed workboots three years ago.

    Hope the ctrl-C monster stays far far away

    JC

    By Blogger warbird2010, at March 19, 2008 at 3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home