Thursday, February 26, 2009

There's Nothing Like a Surly Scottish Clog

I saw this local spot not long ago and was humored by the concept. How do you decide to give a clogged drain a Scottish accent a la Mike Myers? How do you decide to have the drain insulting the homeowner as a "freakin' hippie"? How do you decide to have the Scottish clog encouraging the homeowner to continue scratching his itch, calling her "sweetheart"? He's a stubborn, randy drain with an attitude. When you're selling local drain clearing, you have to think creatively. These people did. There are no happy men in trucks pulling up to the curb with a plumber's toolbox, smiling under sunny skies. All clichés avoided and a bathroom as the shoot location.



I emailed the owner of Farmers Drains a couple weeks ago asking if I could post his commercial. I inadvertently insulted him by calling the commercial "low budget," at which point he told me not to post anything about his business. He misunderstood my appreciation for his promotion and I forgot that any amount spent on production and air time for a small business is money that is hard to part with, especially in this climate. Since he now has an account on YouTube, I think I'm safe to share his work. I think it's also a safe bet that people in need of a rooter service are going to remember the name "Farmers" and the figure of $99, thanks to this spot.

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

  • No wonder her tub drain's clogged. By the looks of the water, she's been taking dumps in it, too.

    By Blogger M.M. McDermott, at February 26, 2009 at 3:34 PM  

  • This was a challenging bit of work and it was clever. The oddest thing we ever dod was develop a logo and print work for a nutritional supplement you give to birds of prey...I am NOT making this up! It was called Nutri Raptor. So, all you Arab Princes out there who like to hunt with your Falcons, buy some and watch 'em fly faster! The stuff we do.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 27, 2009 at 2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home