Friday, April 03, 2009

Been A Lame Blogger Lately

I started writing a book on Sunday, and I'm trying to keep up a pace of about 2,000 words a day. I hope to be done in a month or so. In the meantime, blogging may take a backseat. I'll still be posting, though not likely with the frequency at which I'm used to. I have no idea where the book is going, which is half the fun and half the challenge. But I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

I got to thinking about how much I blog, and while I enjoy it a great deal, it all just goes away. "Ephemera," as my friends at Public School Intelligentsia call it. So I decided to write something that might last a little longer; longer than some old blog post that gets buried in the archives, to be pulled up at random when someone searches for Land O Lakes Butter Trick or Amtrak Sucks, two of my most trafficked posts here. Longer-lasting also than the throwaway ads, brochures or web copy I write for a living.I've always advised creatives to keep something on the side that no one has a say in. Paint, write, take pictures, draw, sculpt or play music. If all your creativity is spent working for your clients, you can learn to hate your gifts. That's why I started blogging. Now I'm going to take my own advice a little further. The best part about writing this book (aside from the freedom to create with no other goal than to entertain) is that there's no one telling me it's wrong or that the call to action isn't strong enough.

So, if anyone comes across this post by accident, likes my writing style and is also a literary agent (or knows one) hit me up and we'll talk about my forthcoming novel. It has very little to do with advertising and marketing, though they play minor roles. It is rated R for occasional adult language, sparse graphic violence and a little nudity. It's a good story. The first of many. (And yes, I got ahead of myself and created the jacket image above.)

Eventually, I want to live on an island like Graham Greene and write a mere 350 words a day after I've gone swimming in the Mediterranean and drank a few cocktails. Then I'll look them over in the evening, edit them a little before dinner and then go to a show. When my publisher calls once a week, I'll say, "You need to stop pressuring me, man. This shit doesn't write itself, you know. And I'm almost out of Elijah Craig, so why don't you get on that and gimme a break. And by the way, I want a clause in the next contract stating that under no circumstances will Keanu Reeves play a character from any of my books if they are optioned for film."

And no, my name is not Jack, but my middle name is John, and I understand that Jack is often a nickname for John, (though that never made sense to me) so that's my pen name this time around.

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share

9 Comments:

  • Damn you and your motivation, 'packs.

    You've inspired me. Oh, I'm still going to go watch Hell's Kitchen, drink a few National Bohemians, and drunk tweet. But I'm going to hate myself in the morning.

    The Great American novel strikes again.

    By Blogger M.M. McDermott, at April 3, 2009 at 8:09 PM  

  • After a long freakin' day (week) of stupid everything, your little indulgence has kicked my behind. I'm sick of paper pushing, finding typos on cable crawls, and doing interviews to get the "just right" bite we need to make it. I'm crabby, its late and you've made me feel there's more out there. Thanks!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 4, 2009 at 12:32 AM  

  • Dang. I'm a newbie blogger and you've put my brand-new good intentions up for questioning...

    Always love your posts, though. Hope you can come back once in a while!

    By Blogger Teenie, at April 4, 2009 at 9:18 AM  

  • Let me know when you need a German translator for your book.

    By Blogger textferry, at April 4, 2009 at 4:51 PM  

  • Congrats Man! Love the cover. I hope you can enjoy the process* without (for the moment) the Mediterranean, and I hope you can scare up some cocktails nearby.

    *Don't beat yourself up, go insane, become hopelessly addicted to something really bad, kick the dog, yell at the 7-11 kid or otherwise be mean to yourself. Ride the wave. We'll be cheering you on from Boston.

    By Blogger Moda di Magno, at April 7, 2009 at 7:17 AM  

  • Thanks, Lori. That was nice. Ride the wave. I like it.

    By Blogger RFB, at April 7, 2009 at 7:39 AM  

  • It's great that you can commit to a book. I'm still trying to commit to finishing a couple short stories.

    By Blogger golublog, at April 7, 2009 at 10:20 AM  

  • What d'ya mean you're gonna live on an island?

    Thought you wanted to head down under?

    Of course - Australia is the world's biggest island.

    Phew!!

    By Blogger Stanley Johnson, at April 10, 2009 at 9:43 AM  

  • Stan: My winter home is Down Under. And the island there will be Kangaroo.

    Textferry: You're on.

    By Blogger RFB, at April 15, 2009 at 10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home