Thursday, May 17, 2007

Never Seem to Find the Time



Pictured here is the Yacht Master II from Rolex, because the Yacht Master wasn't elegant and luxurious enough.

In the year 2000 (June, as I recall) my watch stopped working. At first it bugged me, not being able to look down at my wrist and know the time. Eventually I realized that no matter where I went, there was a clock of some kind within sight. There are two in my kitchen in the form of the microwave and a CD player. The cable boxes show the time. My computers have clocks. My cell phone displays the time. There's a clock in the car. We've got clocks on the walls.

Conclusion: I don't need a frickin' watch, or "precision chronograph" or whatever they call them tomorrow. And if, as Seiko tries to tell me, "It's your watch that says the most about who you are," then I must be subhuman.

All you guys who own Rolexes and Breitlings and Tag Heuers and whatnot can now post comments about how when you're yachting, or piloting your plane, or fly fishing in Alaska, or rocketing to the international space station, it's much easier to look at your wrist than your cell phone. Also, feel free to tell me how the clocks in my home rely on electricty and what if that went out? I don't care. I'm not buying a watch. Or fixing my old one.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

7 Comments:

  • Uh, it’s not a watch, it’s a precision timekeeping instrument. To that point, I was meaning to post some ads that use that phrasing, but I got busy with other things. Lost track of time you might say.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 17, 2007 at 2:22 PM  

  • I'm in the same boat. My watch batter conked out around Christmas. I was too busy with work to get it fixed (how sad). And eventually figured out I don't really need. Still watchless.

    I've been thinking about getting the battery fixed just to have one if I need it... but eh.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 17, 2007 at 5:21 PM  

  • My pricey watches all died. My cheapy sports watche keep going. I only use it for running, and even there I've started measuring running time in songs on the mp3 player. In other words, I still wear one now and then, but only watches under $30 that I know will last at least five years. Maybe the only thing a watch says about a person is that they haven't yet arranged their lives to be free of scheduling.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 17, 2007 at 8:46 PM  

  • But Malcolm X said he doesn't have patience for people who don't wear watches. Doesn't that mean anything to you at all?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 18, 2007 at 1:09 AM  

  • That quote is out of context and was applicable in a different era to a specific audience under unique circumstances, Angie, you troublemaking white chick.

    By Blogger RFB, at May 18, 2007 at 7:40 AM  

  • I on the other hand, did replace the watch after being without one for about a year because I lose things.

    Now I don't even wear it because it annoys me being on my wrist when I work.

    Besides now when random, sketchy people ask me for the time I can yell, "I don't know, no watch" and point to my wrist.

    By Blogger Thinking In Vain, at May 18, 2007 at 8:26 AM  

  • Hi.

    I have a watch, a cheap sports thingy that I've had for ages. It's made of some sort of dark green plastic substance, and as long as I replace the battery every so often, it works fine.

    I like it because it gives me somewhere to look in awkward situations, rather than gawping into space like I usually do.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 11, 2007 at 9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home