Thursday, August 09, 2007

Open Mic Night: Headed South Edition

Florida is the destination of choice for many a homeless man, and that’s the subject of this edition of Open Mic Night. A few months after kissing off the Ad Club, (see yesterday’s post) I had another bout with integrity.

My boss, who struggled in vain to land new accounts and relied on old friends who remembered him as a 2nd string quarterback at the local shitty college to bring him business, was pushing me to pad my time sheets. Of course he wasn’t so dumb that he’d come out and say it that way, but the implication was clear. He hated to see any time billed to the company, but the fact of the matter was there simply wasn’t enough business to account for all of my time. I was learning how to take a ridiculously long time to do very easy assignments and then bill that time to clients. I was learning that going through magazines or playing in Photoshop was called "creative concepting" and that we had a billing code for that. I learned that if I just needed to get the hell out of the office to take a drive, I could bill that to someone as a video-shoot location scouting expedition. Finally, after yet another battle with him in his office over hours billed to the company, I said, “Thanks for the education,” and walked out.

In hindsight, that was kind of stupid. At the time, I was sure that a stand for what was right would all turn out fine in the end. It did, eventually, but not before the things in this song happened.

Taking you back to when rock was raunchy and rooted in the blues, many people hear Keith in this song, which is fine with me. It obviously needs the intro and bridge fills of someone like Luther Dickinson , Joe Perry, or even His Royal Badness, but I’m strictly rhythm; I can’t make it cry or sing. This is a demo version only, so don’t give me too much crap.

It’s called “Babylonian Blues.” It’s up in the top of the sidebar. Lyrics are here.

Archived Open Mic music is stored over here.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

  • I love hearing the back story to these songs. :D

    By Blogger Thinking In Vain, at August 9, 2007 at 10:49 AM  

  • I'm hearing a little Frank. Zappa that is.

    Creative pursuits outside blogging, how dare you.

    ;-p

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 9, 2007 at 9:12 PM  

  • Bill: That comparison is a true honor, though I can't say I listened to too much Zappa in my past, save the very cool "Pajama People" and a few tunes from Sheik Yerbouti. At any rate, his cynicism probably did rub off on me to some degree.

    Kym: Any future comments from you regarding Open Mic Night posts will henceforth be viewed with the foreknowledge that you never met a song you didn't like!

    Thanks to you both for listening. It's a scary thing to throw out stuff like this. Feels a little like that dream we've all had of going to school without your pants on.

    We've all had that dream, right?

    By Blogger RFB, at August 10, 2007 at 7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home