Monday, June 15, 2009

The Foribidden Land

Here's a Cuban tourism ad that airs in Canada. You see, Americans aren't allowed to travel to Cuba because we are still punishing Fidel Castro for being a bad man in like, 1959 or something, when he and that one actor, Benicio Del Toro, rode around the countryside on motorcycles, terrorizing the folks. 50 years later and Fidel is still in power in the country that has become a living time capsule, free from modernization and, many will tell you, free from freedom. Can't we all just get along? "No!" the powerful Cuban lobby in Miami will tell you, "We cannot!" But I'm from that naïve school that says you can talk to your "enemies" and even visit their countries.

It's not all glittery like the other Caribbean countries where you're used to your cruise ship docking. And that's half the allure.



And for the time being, this blog will go with a green scheme in solidarity with our other enemy, the Iranian people.

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

  • I was there, in front of that building, about 3 years ago. Havana is one of the most beautiful, haunting, unique cities I've ever visited. It's a thing untouched, even with us Canadians bombarding it all winter long. Cuba is special, and its politics are hard to grasp. Are people happy? Are they not?

    I remember turning to my boyfriend as we walked through Havana and saying "God help Cuba when Wal-mart finally gets here."

    By Blogger Teenie, at June 16, 2009 at 8:37 AM  

  • I made this up, I had this thought first if you ask Sariel he will tell you the truth! My jet pack my flying cars my hovestay,my instant travel machine & my justice plane my heart finder,no inertia platform my ion generator....Well I better not say anymore you might steal it! I think and know only the best your imagination is imitation and fallow; I love you all the same. Promises smomises the lie is in full effect, G_d help us all!!!!!!!!!!!!

    By Anonymous Pentafeltor, at July 9, 2009 at 3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home