Wednesday, August 03, 2011

My Final Assignment in CubeWorld™

They say, "Do what you love." Ha! Wouldn't we all love to be able to follow that trite advice? Whoever said that was one of the rare people already doing what they love. Most of us do well to "do what we can stand." Sorry, kids. this is the way of the world - that is if you want to eat and pay your bills.

But today I'm fairly convinced that this will be the last time I have to "do what you hate." It's awesome when a person is passionate about their work. It's sad when they are the opposite of passionate. That's what this place makes me. (Looking up the opposite of passionate now but can't find the right word.) The problem is the product we sell. Right now I am creating the third and fourth emails in a campaign where the recipients ignored the initial and follow-up emails. In other words, they have no interest in what we are offering, its reputation sullied after years of being oversold and undermaintained, but we will hammer at that list as long as we have names and live emails.

And that lack of belief in what we do here is detrimental not only to me, but to my coworkers and the company. They don't need a malcontent like me writing their emails, their posters, their come-ons and their hurry-don't-wait-time's-running-outs! I'm sure it hasn't slipped through in my writing to the customers and potential customers that I find the offerings undesirable, but it can't go unnoticed around the cubes, where every manner of corporate waste, abuse, backstabbing, politicking, senseless meetings, endless projects and underhanded weaselness is practiced. Not only practiced, but rewarded, as the ones who do those things best rise up in the ranks. These are the sorts of things I enjoy pointing out at every opportunity. Because they are so stupid. And because the people who practice them are so dead to what used to drive them that they don't even see it anymore.

I'm glad to be escaping this tomb of zombies and glad for the opportunities ahead. It's almost lunch time, my stuff is packed. I wrote a Post-it note with the username / password info for this Mac for the next person who sits here. Time to go let the boss know I'm gone. Time to go do something I love.

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share

5 Comments:

  • Excelsior!
    (Felt like Stan Lee was worth quoting after that post.)
    Take care, Jen W

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 3, 2011 at 2:51 PM  

  • It's amazing how many stories in the advertising business are the same, and have been for decades. You'd think there would be some variety in an industry that considers itself creative, ever exploring new possibilities etc., but no. These stories are like a communal "Groundhog Day." Your description will be just as accurate in 30 years, I bet. Like my porfolio case spoof ad. Or my friend's tale, who got fired for not dying first, when he gets around to writing it. Here's to what's next. You deserve something outstanding.

    By Anonymous everysandwich, at August 3, 2011 at 5:12 PM  

  • That's a moment everyone (at least every genuine creative) experiences more than once in their advertising life, but few have the courage to stand up and step out of the shit.
    To what's next.

    By Blogger Else Afar, at August 4, 2011 at 2:14 AM  

  • "Looking up the opposite of passionate now but can't find the right word."

    Apathetic.

    By Blogger warren, at August 9, 2011 at 5:04 PM  

  • That would be it, Warren. Thank you.

    By Blogger RFB, at August 9, 2011 at 9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home