Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Face It: There are Too Many Social Options

Got this auto IM this morning from Facebook. I was apparently invited to join by a colleague.

I'm on MySpace in two places. I'm on LinkedIn. I've got Skype. I signed up for Twitter, but in order to put it on this blog I'd have to change my template, which would be a pain given all the mods I made to this template. I'm on AdGabber, a service of Ning. I've got 4 separate screennames on AIM. I get email on Google, Yahoo!, my local provider at home and two different work accounts. I also have dormant accounts at LiveJournal, GarageBand, PureVolume and a few more. I'm signed on to a few forums and stay updated on too many blogs. I just don't want to keep track of one more social media hotspot. I don't care what you're doing 24/7. Nor should you care what I'm doing.

Can we leave some places for the high school & college kids? Must we invade every place and turn it into another noisy midway of carnival barkers, driving the kids elsewhere again? Aren't you guys connected enough? I think some of you would die if you unplugged.

(And I will never play in Second Life. My first life is busy enough.)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

7 Comments:

  • As you well know, these are the topic of two popular Toad Tirades: Your Brand Is Not My Friend™ (e.g. if I'm talking to my friends, I don't want to talk to your brand) and Social Media Is Only Social If You're Alone (e.g. the period of time where you really want all your friends to know what you're up to 24/7 is fairly brief.)

    And JetPacks- Facebook, despite the recent hype- is a wonderful place for 24 year old AAEs and junior art directors to let their friends know they have a new boyfriend or that they've found a new favorite band or really cute blouse.
    Know what I'm saying?

    By Blogger Alan Wolk, at August 21, 2007 at 12:24 PM  

  • It's also a place for agencies to go “Hey, let’s do a Facebook for (insert brand).”

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 21, 2007 at 1:01 PM  

  • Aw damn, and I was just thinking how cool it would be if you were on Facebook. :p

    I dunno, I (or most of my friends) don't use Facebook (or MySpace) to keep tabs on what everyone's doing all the time or to network.

    I use it to keep up with friends. Yes, there may be better ways to keep in touch, but in 5 seconds I can find out if one of my friends I don't see very often got a new job instead of hearing it through the grapevine in a week.

    That or I'm using it to goof off with those same friends.

    I'd care to know if a sister of mine got a new boyfriend or got engaged, but I couldn't care less about some random person I managed to 'network' with. Of course, I wouldn't be adding them to my friends list either.

    My point being that I probably don't have one but Facebook is becoming increasingly better to use IMO because stupid people can't mess with their layouts or play songs automatically.

    By Blogger Thinking In Vain, at August 21, 2007 at 2:22 PM  

  • TIV - Unfortunately, stupid people will always find a way. Always.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 21, 2007 at 4:46 PM  

  • I really hope I fixed that music in the sidebar and that it no longer autoplays in some browsers. (Thank you IE, you idiots.)

    By Blogger RFB, at August 21, 2007 at 5:13 PM  

  • Unfortunately, stupid people will always find a way. Always.

    And if they're my friends I can yell at them. :D

    By Blogger Thinking In Vain, at August 22, 2007 at 8:46 AM  

  • I'm on facebook. I like it better than myspace. But I'm on there, too.

    And I have a LiveJournal.

    And I have a blog at my job.

    I'm totally shameless, I know.

    By Blogger JT Taylor, at August 22, 2007 at 2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home