Thursday, November 15, 2007

The Long Road to Redemption

It took him about 30 years, but the backlash may finally be subsiding.

The latest in Geico's "Celebrity Interpreters" series features none other than Peter Frampton and his talkbox.



As I noted back in June, "I've always thought someone should use Frampton's talkbox in an ad."

Hey, Martin Agency, are you people reading "Where's My Jetpack?" I'd be happy to help you start an Orlando branch office*. Well, I'd also want to stay on and have a corner suite with a wet bar. And a healthy, healthy salary.

Guitarists, you can make the same silly noises as Peter with your very own Framptone.

*Martin: I'm serious. Not about the wet bar part. Unless you think that's OK.

Labels: , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

  • Congrats on calling the "someone should use him..." prediction. And I must say, the spot is, like the others in the series, nicely done. Of all the Geico campaigns (aren't there like 6 running at one time?) this is my favorite.

    By Blogger Unknown, at November 15, 2007 at 6:01 PM  

  • My wife just told me a few days ago about a talkbox showing up in a Geico commercial. I've been scanning all day during spots hoping to find it. THANK YOU DAVE for an early Christmas present. I will smile for HOURS on this one

    (Now I just gotta convince my wife that my HEIL talkbox is not nearly as cool as a Framptone, and I need a Marshall stack to use on it.)

    Do you think the ad campaign will be enough to convince the music leader at church I need to use a talkbox during worship?

    Jimbo

    By Blogger warbird2010, at November 16, 2007 at 12:15 AM  

  • Jim, tell the music leader that you feel "very convicted" using a talkbox named HEIL, because it's too close to HELL - or that it reminds you of "Sieg Heil" and that's not a good thing in a church. A Framptone in a church service would be almost newsworthy, bringing in all manner of curious onlookers who want to know more. Then later in the year, your church hosts a Frampton concert.

    By Blogger RFB, at November 16, 2007 at 6:47 AM  

  • Dude, I thought Frampton gained his cool back when Lisa Bonet sang his song in High Fidelity. Guess I was a little premature on that one.

    By Blogger JT Taylor, at November 16, 2007 at 4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home