Sunday, November 30, 2008

Sir Smug & Son

Money Won't Buy You Happiness...
But It Can Sure Rent it For a Long Time.


I actually like the concept behind the ads for Patek Philippe watches - that you don't really own one, you just take care of it for your offspring - but their choice of models is bugging me. The man on the left could play a sophisticated Satan in a supernatural thriller, while the guy on the right is the perfect frat-boy, rich-kid stereotype who gets it in the end in a teen romantic comedy.

Labels: , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

7 Comments:

  • it is always about the hair, isn't it...sigh.

    By Blogger jos, at November 30, 2008 at 12:02 PM  

  • This brings back awful memoris. My late dad gave me a very fancypants watch he'd bought in WWII while I was in college, though I didn't recognize the fancypantsness of it at the time. Some jackass stole it in school. That's what I recall of my liberal arts education. That and Yahweh and B.F Skinner. Frankly, I'd rather have the watch. Since then I've learned that the more I pay for a watch, the less likely it is to continue running. These days, just Timex and Casio for me, thanks.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 30, 2008 at 12:56 PM  

  • I suppose the sad thing is that the edited version could probably run very well in certain circles...

    By Blogger Jam, at November 30, 2008 at 2:43 PM  

  • Why are you presuming it’s a father/son depiction? The headline only says you’re passing the watch along to the next generation – not necessarily your offspring. It could be a Boomer politician and his White House page. Or an Orange County executive and his pool boy.

    By Blogger HighJive, at November 30, 2008 at 3:58 PM  

  • David Lee Roth is alleged to have said, "Money can't buy you happiness, but it will buy you a great big yacht that you can sail up and anchor next to happiness."

    By Blogger Andy Jukes, at November 30, 2008 at 8:06 PM  

  • My dad let me use his English Leather once.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 30, 2008 at 9:47 PM  

  • Lol highjive. A whole new cynical context.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 1, 2008 at 10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home