Sunday, February 08, 2009

Much Abuzz About Nothing

Coffee must feel really cheated right now. It was once the only (legal) thing we ingested to give us a little kick start. Now we have energy drinks, energy shots, energy pills and thanks to a really dumb idea over at Nestlé, we also have Butterfinger Buzz, "with as much caffeine as the leading energy drink."
Here's Butterfinger's stupid microsite promoting the product, with a bunch of idiots getting their heads shaved (or "buzzed!" - get it?) so they can paint the Butterfinger Buzz logo on their skulls. Are you a fan of Butterfinger Buzz on Facebook yet? Will you attend the Butterfinger Buzz Event in NYC this Thursday and get your head shaved? And be sure to follow Butterfinger Buzz on Twitter!!!

And don't forget the Butterfinger Comedy Network, a place for doomed comedians to hone their skills at this dying performing art.

April 1st of last year saw the fake relaunch of Butterfinger as just "The Finger." Ha-ha! April Fool's! We're so funny.

A candy bar loaded with caffeine. F-ing genius! "Screw you, coffee! I can get the same feeling from this candy bar that also has 460 calories!"

All of this effort is being put forth for a product that is "limited - while supplies last." A gimmick for the sake of being gimmicky. Buzz. Get people talking. Get them to shave their heads and sport your logo.

You are trying way too hard, Nestlé. It's a candy bar, not a lifestyle.

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

  • I wonder if you need to be 18 to buy this. I don't know if it's a Federal or State regulation, but where I live kids can't buy "energy shots" or caffeine pills.

    Back on point, I hate marketing gimmicks like this. Talk about trying too hard. At least they didn't call it Butterfinger Xtreme!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 8, 2009 at 10:41 AM  

  • I am so, so tired of CAFFEINATED EVERYTHING. There's a 20-year-old kid who sits behind me in class, constantly CONSTANTLY talking, and 50% of his conversation is variations on, "Man, I'm so buzzed, I was drinking coffee all night to finish my homework, then I had a Red Bull for breakfast, then I had more coffee, man, oh man, oh man, oh man, what was I saying? HAHAHA! Man, I had so much coffee last night..."

    The last thing that idiot needs is easier access to stimulants. Now, the "Butterfinger STFU and take a nap" -- that I could support.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 8, 2009 at 11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home