Wednesday, September 01, 2010

"Encore Performance" is TV-Speak for "Filler"

The onset of Autumn used to mean the start of the new TV season. That slight shift in the wind and the temperature went hand in hand with back to school shopping, a new season of football, new shows on TV and the end of the reruns. But now, it's all up in the air and all over the map. Mad Men started airing its new season in late July. The new season of True Blood is almost over. Those of us eagerly waiting for a new season of Eastbound and Down have been waiting for more than a year. I think SNL and House might be on the old time schedule, but I don't know anymore. I guess that's why we have DVRs now.

That was all just an excuse to show you a rerun of a video I made a few months ago. Jason Fox, an excellent copywriter from Dallas, sent me a DM on Twitter yesterday. We had an exchange that went something like this: Actually, it went exactly like this:


So that made me think, "Damn, maybe that video and song only has 681 views because it just got lost in the shuffle - not because it sucks balls and people were afraid to tell me so. Maybe what it needs is an 'encore performance' here on the blog to kick-start it to life and get it out there a little better."

So without further delay, an encore performance of "Where's My Jetpack?" an original video of an original song by me.



First aired Sunday, April 11, 2010.




Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

14 Comments:

  • That reminds me of one of the twitter tips I read from, if I recall, Guy Kawasaki. He recommended repeating key tweets that you want to penetrate the stream, which makes perfect sense. People miss things in the daily torrent of information, so you can't count on one dissemination event to draw a crowd. True, search traffic might land more over time, but that's not the same as the raw broadcast. Why is it that so many advertising pros fail to practice what we've learned of the power of repetition in our online self-promo efforts? Politeness probably, a fear of appearing crass.

    By Anonymous Phone Tree Refugee, at September 1, 2010 at 8:27 AM  

  • Exactly, Phone Tree - a fear of appearing crass. But I know I miss PLENTY in a day as things get buried in the torrent.

    A local ad guy has his key "white papers" set up on a rotating tweet schedule, which I find a little lame, but I'm sure plenty more people see them that way than would've had he just tweeted them once.

    Maybe I'll just post this every day until it catches fire.

    By Blogger RFB, at September 1, 2010 at 8:33 AM  

  • This is AMAZING. I'm so sad I missed this until now.

    By Blogger Thinking In Vain, at September 1, 2010 at 8:49 AM  

  • I'll put you in touch with my agent as soon as I get one. As long you don't mind me describing your style as Beck-on-Robitussin.

    By Blogger Jason Fox, at September 1, 2010 at 8:57 AM  

  • @jason - I thought Beck WAS on Robitussin. But I'll take that. Thanks.

    @TIV Your Premium Membership Card and Gold Circle status is in danger of being revoked if you keep this up.

    By Blogger RFB, at September 1, 2010 at 9:00 AM  

  • If I keep what up?! I like it!

    By Blogger Thinking In Vain, at September 1, 2010 at 11:14 AM  

  • If you keep failing to show up for "first-run" content.

    By Blogger RFB, at September 1, 2010 at 11:33 AM  

  • Oh. Shit.

    :p

    By Blogger Thinking In Vain, at September 1, 2010 at 4:40 PM  

  • I'd love to buy a high-def version of this song. You know that the audio quality sucks right?

    By Anonymous olslopoke, at September 1, 2010 at 7:25 PM  

  • @ olslopoke Yes it does. But as a demo you have to admit it hooks you, right? - proven by your willingness to buy an HD version.

    By Blogger RFB, at September 1, 2010 at 8:10 PM  

  • Hook me - it's been stuck in my head for weeks! I think this is a truly great tune. You really have something here. The world needs to have this song. Stop whatever else you're doing and get that CD finished. Rant concludes

    By Anonymous olslopoke, at September 1, 2010 at 8:18 PM  

  • OK, olslopoke. Quit fuckin' with me and reveal yourself. I am on Titter and gmail if you want to talk privately.

    Stuck in your head for weeks, my ass.

    By Blogger RFB, at September 1, 2010 at 8:34 PM  

  • Okay, done.

    By Anonymous olslopoke, at September 2, 2010 at 4:46 PM  

  • Even more fun the second time around. The video is genius, every shot.

    By Anonymous Oakhurst, at September 8, 2010 at 10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home