Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Your Time is Gonna Come

I got an invitation to join YET ANOTHER network thingy today. This one was for “Spock.”

Cute.

Don’t need it. Won’t use it. (I know it's been around a few months, but this was the first time I was invited to "join.")

Spock is “a search application that allows you to see what people are saying about your friends and colleagues.”

Whatever.

At some point, this has to stop. How many different ways do we need to be “linked-in?” And which one is the best? How many different ways can I twitter your myspace or digg your facebook? What does it matter if I “know” someone you “know?” Are we going to transact business? I sincerely doubt it. Maybe we’ll talk about what an idiot you are behind your back.

A former colleague has apparently been viewing questionable content on myspace and now I get two comments a day from him about ringtones. Thanks, dude. I’m deleting you as my “friend.”

I say everyone just get a website. I’ll link to you if I like you and I will check on you once in a while. I may even comment on your blog if I have a moment. If you are in business, title and tag your pages with something semi-related to what you do, and I might find you in my search engine of choice

This giant overloaded blimp called Web 2.0 is about to go down in flames. There are a bunch of "thought leaders" in the "interactive space" on board, and they're wearing gasoline-soaked suits, walking around lighting matches. Show me one client who turned a blog post into actual revenue and I will show you 50 who tried it and found it to be a colossal waste of time. Show me how Facebook helped your clients. Give me a case study on how being Linked-In was beneficial in DOLLARS (not Linden dollars). Show me how having 10,000 “friends” is worth two shits. And if you say, “It’s about branding. It’s about name recognition,” then we’re done talking because you are selling snake oil.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

7 Comments:

  • I must admit that I've been thinking the same thing. I'm guilty. I initially joined LinkedIn, thinking it was an interesting idea - sortof a FaceBook for business people. Then all of a sudden, I get invites to Plaxo Pulse. It seems all my LinkedIn connections moved over. So I did too. Of course, I had to join Facebook, to see what my teenagers are up to. And, as a musician, I joined MySpace Music. Where does it end. I NEVER visit those sites. I spend too much time writing my blog (and reading yours).

    The other day, this is when it really got me - some friend I hadn't spoken to in years sent me a facebook invitation and said "Now that we're both on Facebook, we can stay in touch!"

    Uh, like, what happened to email?

    By Blogger Unknown, at December 19, 2007 at 11:54 AM  

  • JP. I like you. Do you like me?

    You are on it! However, I believe my blog has possibly helped my biz. But I'm with you, I don't do any of the networking sites and we've talked about the blog whore end of it. But I certainly don't wish for it to go up in flames as you do....

    Your friend,

    L.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 19, 2007 at 12:32 PM  

  • Dirtsister. You did not provide a checkbox for me on the "like" question.

    And I think your blog has benefitted from content that isn't whorish. It's not like you hype your products nonstop or seek to make BS comments in other places just for the link.

    As for the flames, I just want to see some charlatans get the burning they deserve.

    By Blogger RFB, at December 19, 2007 at 12:41 PM  

  • So I guess you don't want to play Scrabulous?

    By Blogger Andy Jukes, at December 19, 2007 at 12:47 PM  

  • Fun post! I totally agree. I have too many profiles to manage as it is. Although, I do really like linkedin for networking with new people I meet for biz or happy hours.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 20, 2007 at 7:55 AM  

  • These people sending the invitations don't really know you at all do they?

    By Blogger Thinking In Vain, at December 21, 2007 at 12:28 PM  

  • Sometimes I invite myself. Not always, just sometimes.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 22, 2007 at 3:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home