Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Your Claims of "Viral" Are Falling on Deaf Eyes

I won't even give this video the benefit of an embedded view because the execution behind the attempt is so transparent. Not that the idea is so awful. Guy finds image of Burger King on his Big Mac bun. Cute.

It is introduced to me in an email that has all the markings of blog spam: "Hey, longtime fan of your blog and thought you might be interested in this. I keep seeing this video in a bunch of places and wondered what you thought. Funny stuff."

Whether or not BK is ultimately behind this doesn't even bother me. I doubt they are and this is probably someone's attempt to get some viral cred that they can put on their reel as they knock on doors to try to find a job.  "We did this hilarious thing for BK that just blew up on YouTube!"

This one, like most of them, has the forced acting by amatuers who happened to have their cameras out as they were eating lunch at McDonald's. It is uploaded by a guy who, SURPRISE, has only ever uploaded one video - and it's this one. If my YouTube user name is jakeskatesf, I will likely have at least a few vids of myself skating, or doing bong hits, or hanging out at the beach, especially if I'm the kind of guy whose camera is so a part of me that I have it out while at lunch with my friends. And the people who think Jake's video is awesome, their profiles have ZERO uploads. These are what's known in the business as "fake plants pretending to like your faked stupid video." One of them comments on Jake's video that "Damn dude! This BK thing is blowin' up!" Uh, not really.


Good viral happens, it isn't seeded or trying to be "authentic." You can't PR your way to success through fake email accounts with "check this funny thing out I found" messages. And what really ticks most of us off are the lengths you will go to to make it seem as though you are just some Joe or Jake who made a video, creating fake profiles and seeding comments. At least have another couple videos on your channel to hide the fact that you created the channel for the sole purpose of promoting your little stunt that you hope gets noticed by CP+B.

Or just be honest and put it on your real channel with the explanation, "I need a job and so I did this thing to get noticed by someone." That would be far more digestible than what you're up to now.

Labels: , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

  • I got the same email. Now that you brought up what a giant fail it is, I've posted it too. Did you get the email from the same address as I did?

    http://adland.tv/content/failed-attempt-making-mcdonalds-bk-king-bun-film-viral

    By Blogger Åsk Dabitch, at July 20, 2010 at 10:38 AM  

  • I got the same f*ckin' email... except mine came a guy called, get this, "Tyresse Washington," pretty damn insulting!

    By Anonymous KissMyBlackAds, at July 21, 2010 at 2:52 AM  

  • KMBA: Mine was from Tyrese as well, which I wasn't buying. I did a search for that name and came up with a guy on Facebbok in the NY area who didn't seem like the type to go around hyping a lame video.

    By Blogger RFB, at July 21, 2010 at 6:58 AM  

  • Hey Bro/Brah!

    LOL thanks for the shout. That video steeze was like, mad funny, huh? Couldn't believe it happened, either.

    Dudeman, your take on it was Hi-Freaking-Larious!!! FTW, man. Can't believe how crazy that video has taken off.

    Sk8te you later, cat.

    Mahalo

    By Anonymous Tyrese, at July 22, 2010 at 11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home